This Chia Pudding is a nice way to start the day for breakfast or as a delicious snack and it can easily be made to be vegan and gluten-free. Customize it with your favorite berries and sweeten it with maple syrup. (vegan option, paleo, gluten-free, keto-friendly)
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, Chia pudding is awesome.
I love it, it’s my new go-to snack.
It’s great because you can pretty much flavor it however you want to, with whatever berries or fruit is in season or your favorite sweetener or herbs.
It’s essentially chia seeds in milk – either regular milk (I use whole) or non-dairy and you stir the seeds in and leave it to chill in the refrigerator 2 hours or overnight and viola! You have luscious chia pudding ready to go!
You can make it in a big 32 ounce (2 1/2 cup) mason jar or smaller jars if you want.
I made it in a large jar and then portioned it out into smaller jars (those are actually baby food jars that I saved to reuse!) shown in the photos to make individual snacks for grabbing on the go.
- 6 tablespoons chia seeds (dry)
- 2 cups milk, you can use dairy or a non dairy milk like almond milk, soy, cashew or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, honey or other desired sweetener, plus more for optional topping
- seasonal berries or fruit for mixing in, or topping (optional)
- cinnamon or spice mix, for topping (optional)
- Cocoa Cinnamon Sugar Spice Mixture or Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- 32 ounce mason jar with lid
- measuring spoons
- wet measure
- spoon for stirring
- cutting board (for optional fruit/berries)
- chef’s knife (for cutting optional fruit)
Having healthier snacks like chia pudding really helped me with my health goals since I’ve been losing my pregnancy weight these last 8 months since my son was born.
I would rather reach for something like this which will make my stomach feel full and is more nutritious than a bag of chips (and I love chips too but this is better!).
Chia Seeds Health Benefits
According to Medical News Today (source),
They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, rich in antioxidants, and they provide fiber, iron, and calcium. Omega-3 fatty acids help raise HDL cholesterol, the “good” cholesterol that protects against heart attack and stroke.
I always seed to have an abundance of chia seeds in my pantry shelf and making chia pudding is the perfect way to use them up!
It happens to be strawberry season, here in New Jersey, as I write this, and chia pudding is the perfect backdrop to any fruit or berry.
- Freezer Meal Prep
- Ted Lasso Biscuit Recipe
- Stuffed Dates Recipes
- Burnt Basque Cheesecake
- What Flowers Are Edible?
Our Other Recipes & Posts
- Chocolate Latte
- Coffee with Whipped Cream
- Chrysanthemum Golden Milk Chia Pudding
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash
- Easy Non-Dairy Ice Cream Pops
- Cherry Oatmeal Pancakes
- Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Berry Chia Date Smoothie
- Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donuts
- Chrysanthemum Golden Milk Chia Pudding
- Holiday Side Dish Recipes Collection
- Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Strawberry Nutella Waffles
- Cocoa Almonds
Let me know in the comments below if you try this recipe and what you pair it with!
This recipe is inspired by Basic Chia Seed Pudding from EatingBirdFood.com
This recipe post was originally published on 6/11/2018, and updated and republished 9/15/2019, 5/12/2021
- 6 tablespoons chia seeds, dry
- 2 cups milk, or the same amount of non-dairy milk like almond, soy, cashew, or coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, optional, or honey or preferred sweetener
- seasonal berries or fruit, optional
- cinnamon or spice mix for topping, optional, amount to taste, "Cocoa Cinnamon Sugar Spice Mixture" or "Cinnamon Sugar Mixture", search on LLS
- In a medium bowl or 32 ounces (2 1/2 cup) mason jar (with lid), mix 2 cups milk (or same amount non-dairy milk) with chia seeds, pure vanilla extract, cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, take out and stir or just shake it if it's in a mason jar, then allow to sit for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- When it's done setting up in the refrigerator, divide into portions and serve with optional fruit, berries, maple syrup, or sweetener of choice. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
OXO Good Grips Wooden Spoon Set, 3-Piece
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
(2 Packs) Ball Mason Wide Mouth Half Pint Jars - 8oz - 4 Jars Per Box - Total 8 Jars
Ball 24 oz Jar, Wide mouth, 24 ounce (Pack of 2),Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 689Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 135gFiber: 19gSugar: 100gProtein: 12g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.