This rich, self-saucing, Chocolate Chess Pie has a homemade pie crust and can easily be made ahead with simple pantry ingredients like cornmeal, flour, eggs, chocolate chip morsels, unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla, and sugar. It has a crisp, crackly top (similar to a French macaron cookie) and tastes wonderful served with powdered sugar, whipped cream, and ground cinnamon.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Chocolate Chess Pie
Hi Everyone, I am pleased to share this ooey, gooey, rich, sweet, crackly-crusted Chocolate Chess Pie!
If you make this Chocolate Chess Pie and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know at the end of the post in the comments.
Thank you for reading and following along!
RELATED: Incredible Homemade Apple Pie
- 1 single pie crust recipe (homemade or a store-bought one, thawed)
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch-process)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional (can substitute same amount dark roast instant coffee)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1/4 cup 60% bittersweet chocolate chip morsels
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (can substitute whole milk or half and half)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Place a thawed store-bought or blind-baked pie shell on a rimmed baking sheet (to catch any drippings while baking just in case). Gather your ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, cornmeal, cocoa powder, flour, salt, and optional espresso powder (enhances the chocolate flavor). Whisk the ingredients to combine.
- In a medium microwavable bowl, add unsalted butter, chocolate, and cream. Microwave for 25-30 second intervals (usually 2 or 3), stirring with a fork or small whisk in between until combined. Add the apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract and combine.
- Pour the chocolate-butter mixture into the combined dry ingredients and using a handheld electric mixer, mix until combined. Add the eggs and mix until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into a blind-baked pie shell or thawed frozen pie shell and bake for 45-50 minutes in a 350°F preheated oven (50 minutes works best for me!). Allow to cool on a wire rack for 2 hours and then transfer to chill 6-8 hours or overnight to set. Serve cold or warm. Tastes great when served dusted with powdered sugar, whipped cream, and topped with ground cinnamon. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Pie Plate (9.5-Inch, 2-Pack)
5x Pizza Pie Server Cake Holder Transfer Triangular Spade Spatula for Cake Baking Wood Wooden Handle Shovel Stainless Steel
Cakewalk 6466 Melamine Cake Cupcake Stand, Home Decor, Accessory, One Size, Yellow
Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
KitchenAid KHM512ER 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Empire Red
Cuisinart HM-90S Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, White
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 606Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 218mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 2gSugar: 66gProtein: 6g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.