Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas are a great addition as a side to any meal, they are perfect on top of salads for added nutrition and are easy to make in your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker for weekly meal planning.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
Hi Everyone, whenever I have dried Black Eyed Peas in our pantry, I put them in the rotation for meal planning to have throughout the week to top my salads and dinner bowls.
Table of contents
It makes putting together a meal so easy when you have the prepared ingredients at hand right in the refrigerator.
I personally love just having these black-eyed peas drizzled with olive oil and with salt and pepper.
They would be great sprinkled with fresh, chopped garden herbs as well.
I also love them over salad.
At the time of my writing this post, it’s late May 2020 during the pandemic here in New Jersey.
At the beginning of the lockdown in our state, I had a bunch of dried legumes and bags of these dried black-eyed peas.
This recipe is meant to be very flexible, you could add cooked, chopped bacon for more savory flavor or make it plainer by not adding any chicken or vegetable base/stock, say if you are making them be apart of another recipe.
Do you have to soak black-eyed peas?
No, you do not, it’s not required for this recipe and in general, dried black-eyed peas don’t need to be soaked as long as other types of dried legumes BUT I do soak them because it makes them extra soft, creamy almost, which I like (plus, I think it’s better for digestion).
I will soak them overnight in a bowl, covered with a plate in the refrigerator.
I put them in the water at night and then the next day I make them.
I give the cooking times for dry vs. soaked black-eyed peas in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How much water do I add to the Instant Pot for this Black Eyed Peas recipe?
I add 4 cups of water for 1 pound of pre-soaked black-eyed peas.
I always use Better than Bouillon Chicken or Vegetable stock base.
If you want to use stock, just do 2 cups water and 2 cups stock of your choice.
If you are just rinsing the black-eyed peas and not soaking them, add 6 cups water (or 3 cups water and 3 cups chicken/vegetable stock).
If you just want them to taste very plain, perhaps to be apart of another recipe, you can just do water only.
How Does Soaking the Black Eyed Peas Affect Cooking Time?
Pre-soaking the black-eyed peas cut the cooking time in the Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker.
If the peas are soaked, they only need to be cooked for 4-5 minutes on high pressure (not including the time it takes to bring it up to pressure and the time it takes to release).
How Many Servings Does this Black Eyed Peas recipe make?
It takes about 8 servings and about 6 cups.
- Peach Cobbler Recipe
- Roasted Purslane Chips
- How to Make Milk with Milk Powder
- Sautéed Purslane
- Air Fryer Kohlrabi Fries
If you try this Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1 pound (16 ounces/454 grams) dried black eyed peas, soaked overnight, no longer than 12 hours
- 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon vegetable base or chicken base
- Kosher salt, amount to taste for serving
- fresh ground black pepper, amount to taste for serving
- optional: fresh chopped garden herbs for serving
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling, optional for serving
- Add pre-soaked black eyed peas to the instant pot, add 4 cups water, 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon Chicken or Vegetable base (or 2 cups water, 2 cups stock).
- Put lid on and make sure that the valve is set to "sealing." Cook the black eyed peas on high pressure for 4-5 minutes (not including the time it takes to bring it up to pressure and the time it takes to release pressure which is about 15 minutes.
- When they are done, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release. When you can open the lid, using a fork, fluff the black eyed peas and they are ready for serving. Add salt and pepper, amount to taste and enjoy!
- Soaking the Peas Ratio: 1 cup dry peas to 3 cups water, do not soak peas for longer than 12 hours overnight.
- HOW MUCH WATER DO I ADD TO THE INSTANT POT FOR THIS BLACK EYED PEAS RECIPE?
- I add 4 cups water for 1 pound of pre-soaked black eyed peas. I always use "Better than Bouillon" Chicken or Vegetable stock base. If you want to use stock, just do 2 cups water and 2 cups stock of your choice.
- If you are just rinsing the black eyed peas and not soaking them, add 6 cups water (or 3 cups water and 3 cups chicken stock).
- If you just want them to taste very plain, perhaps to be apart of another recipe, you can just do water only.
- Instant Pot Model: I own the Instant Pot Duo (Instant Pot Duo 60 321 Electric Pressure Cooker, 6-QT, Stainless Steel/Black)
- Cooking time for dry, rinsed black eyed peas: 14-18 minutes on high pressure
- Cooking Time for pre-soaked (overnight, no longer than 12 hours): 4-5 minutes on high pressure
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
- Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
- Aozita 17oz Glass Olive Oil Bottle - 500ml Dark Brown Oil & Vinegar Cruet with Pourers and Funnel - Olive Oil Carafe Decanter for Kitchen
- OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
- Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6qt/1000W, Latest 3rd Generation Technology, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior
- Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 288mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.