Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
We consume food every single day. It’s our duty to make sure that we value what we eat and how we eat it. Household waste is seriously overlooked and many people don’t understand the impact that it has.
Household waste contributes largely to food waste and the amount of food that goes to landfills is crazy.
But since many people are now slowly realizing the severity of this situation, they want to help in their own way, and if you’re one of them, here are some tips to help you lessen food waste at home!
5 Ways You Can Reduce Food Waste
- Plan: If you carry a grocery list every time you go shopping, you’ll be likely to stray away from buying unnecessary food items that will go to waste at home. Deciding which meals you’re about to cook for the week will help you avoid purchasing more food than you can eat.
- Store Food the Right Way: Storage is a huge part of why food lasts as long as it does. Immediately place all your perishable food in the refrigerator as soon as you get home. Also, make sure that air is circulating properly around the food to keep it safe and fresh.
- Buy Food that is in Season: Foods that are in season mean that you can easily get them anytime and they also taste good too.
- Stock Your Pantry: Keep your pantry stocked with non-perishable products that you can use for an assortment of meals. Rotate the items accordingly so that the oldest goes out first.
- Leftovers: Stretching your week’s meals can really help reduce waste. You can creatively use your leftovers for various dishes.
How To Waste Less Food
- Don’t get too picky on food. We should all consume food in all shapes or sizes. We dispose of a lot of products because they don’t comply with the cosmetic standards, but that doesn’t mean that they are bad.
- As we eat a lot of food, why don’t we return them back to the soil as well? Compost helps in so many ways and it’s converted into gas for the environment, so why not take an extra step and use it as another resource?
Are you cutting down on food waste too? How do you do it at home?