Coconut Caramel Sauce (V+GF+SF): It’s back to basics, yeah, Coconut Caramel Sauce is, now, one of my basics. It can be used in any dessert that would compliment a caramel flavor. It’s vegan, has only 2-3 ingredients, takes less than 5 minutes to make, and is meant to be drizzled, drizzled, drizzled!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Coconut Caramel Sauce (V+GF+SF)
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, I came up with Coconut Caramel Sauce as an alternative to a traditional sugar glaze that would use confectioner’s sugar – not that there’s anything wrong with sugar around here, I obviously have a major sweet molar but I just wanted to explore alternative sweeteners besides just regular old sugar and apart from garbage artificial sweeteners.
I promise you will never see artificial sweeteners
like Splenda, Equal, Sweet ‘n Low on this blog, ever.
Several months ago, I was strolling down the baking aisle of my local grocery store, when I spotted a sugar alternative called Madhava Coconut Sugar next to the other types of sugar and sweeteners.
I was curious because it looked similar to brown sugar in terms of color and consistency which was coincidentally what I was shopping for.
The Non-GMO Project and organic labels caught my eye and on the back of the package said that it could be used in a 1:1 ratio as a substitute for sugar – I was sold, I had to try it.
I am so glad I did because it started a bunch of experimenting using it in various recipes over the past months.
To make this recipe for Coconut Caramel Sauce you need a liquid to make the sugar, well, saucy.
In keeping with the coconut theme, I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk.
This brand is Certified Vegan, Non-GMO Project verified, Certified Gluten-Free, and USDA Organic.
For the optional vanilla extract, I would use Simply Organic Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract; its label says it’s USDA Organic, gluten-free and no sugar added.
I have used several vanilla extracts and this one is one of my favorites.
Are you wondering what it really tastes like?
I wondered the same thing when I first saw it months ago in the grocery store.
The coconut sugar innately has a naturally RICH, caramel flavor to it.
A little burnt sugar flavor (which is what caramel is), comes through but isn’t overwhelming.
It’s really sweet like sugar but it doesn’t give me a headache, kind-of-sweet.
This coconut caramel sauce reminds me of eating the bottom of a crème caramel or flan.
Fun fact, it is derived from coconut tree blossoms.
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, (optional)
How To Make Coconut Caramel Sauce (V+GF+SF)
Gather the ingredients…
Pour in the coconut milk…
Stir until smooth…
Microwave for 10 seconds, stir, then 10 seconds more and…Voilà!
What Coconut Caramel Sauce is Like
- Non-GMO Project Verified (Madhava Coconut Sugar & So Delicious Coconut Milk brands)
- Refined Cane Sugar-Free
- measuring spoons and cups
- 2-cup wet measure
- mixing bowl
- large wire whisk, 5-speed handheld electric mixer or stand mixer
- baking spatula
- airtight storage container
Recipe Notes, Thoughts and Alternatives
I can dream up endless ways to make this sauce even more fun…a pinch of cinnamon for warmth? Some chocolate for decadence?
Another type of extract? I’m not a huge salted caramel person, but, hey, I might just have to try…
Here’s a preview of an upcoming Soft Strawberry Scones recipe that I have been testing, featuring coconut caramel sauce:
Latest Recipes and Posts
- Bubble Coffee Recipe (Boba Coffee)
- How to Prepare Tapioca Pearls (Boba)
- No-Knead Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
- Peeps S’Mores
Have you ever tried cooking and baking with coconut sugar?
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
Thank you for reading and following along!
- Put 1/2 cup coconut sugar in a small microwavable bowl. Measure out 1 tablespoon coconut milk, pour into the bowl of coconut sugar, add optional 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Put into bowl into the microwave for 10 seconds, stir well, then put the mixture in the microwave for 10 more seconds and stir again. If you want the sauce to be thinner for better drizzling add more coconut milk half a tablespoonful at a time. Use right away and/or store in the refrigerator for a few days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- KitchenAid KHM512ER 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Empire Red
- Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 31Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 0g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.