Stinging Nettle Crustless Quiche is savory, with 3 kinds of cheese (shredded Parmesan, Cheddar, and Mozzarella), foraged, local Stinging Nettles (Urtica dioica), and local farm eggs. (gluten-free, vegetarian)
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Stinging Nettle Crustless Quiche
Hi Everyone, it’s time to share a new foraged recipe, this Stinging Nettle Crustless Quiche recipe which is a version of my Quiche Lorraine recipe, here on the blog. If you want to add a traditional, homemade crust to this recipe, check out that recipe for ingredients and instructions.
I encourage you to check out those posts because I post a lot of information about identifying Stinging Nettles and their nutritional information in case you are not that familiar with them.
RELATED: Sautéed Stinging Nettles
What if I don’t have Stinging Nettles?
Stinging Nettles are unique on their own but I would say they are most similar to spinach or another leafy, green vegetable (think kale, Swiss chard, turnip or beet greens, etc.). If you do not have Stinging Nettles on hand, then you can substitute the same amount with any of those leafy, green veggies that I just listed.
I made sure to share a few recipe process photos as I usually try to do in the post and also in the recipe card below.
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you. I only recommend brands and products that I 100% like and enjoy using. Thank you in advance for your support!
Foraging Reference Book
I use the book, Northeast Foraging, when I am studying new-to-me, local, wild edibles and I have added the Amazon Affiliate link below (I recommend always making sure to consult other local experts that you personally and who are knowledgeable know before trying something new):
I also recently downloaded the “Picture This” plant and tree identification app and used it with success. That could be helpful, if you are trying to ID stinging nettle on your property or somewhere else.
Recipe Process Photos for Stinging Nettle Crustless Quiche
Here are some recipe process photos for this Stinging Nettle Crustless Quiche recipe:
I have all the directions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
If you make this Stinging Nettle Crustless Quiche recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1 cup cooked sauteed Stinging Nettles
- 1 cup half and half (or substitute the same amount heavy cream)
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 shredded Parmesan cheese, divided (1/3 for the quiche batter and 1/3 for topping before baking) or same amount similar dry, aged cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (inside batter) or same amount similar soft cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (inside batter) or same amount similar medium cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more for serving, if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, amount to taste, plus more for serving, if desired
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate, set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, add half and half, 3 eggs, cheeses, Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, ground nutmeg and whisk to combine. Add the cooked sauteed Stinging Nettles (full directions here, make sure all extra moisture is squeezed out), stir to combine.
- Pour the quiche filling into the prepared crust in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese evenly on top of the quiche batter before baking. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on edges. When done, a knife inserted into the middle should come out clean. Cool on a trivet and serve. Add extra salt and pepper, to taste for serving. Enjoy! Makes 12 slices/servings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
- 5x Pizza Pie Server Cake Holder Transfer Triangular Spade Spatula for Cake Baking Wood Wooden Handle Shovel Stainless Steel
- AmazonBasics 6-Piece White Dinner Plate Set
- Misto Aluminum Bottle Oil Sprayer, Tomato Red, Set of 2
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Pie Plate (9.5-Inch, 2-Pack)
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 53Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.