This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ReimagineCereal #CollectiveBias
Cracklin’ Oat Bran Banana Ice Cream has only 2 ingredients, is no-churn, dairy-free and so easy to make! This is one ice cream that is perfectly alright to have for breakfast or anytime of day! Get a bunch of ripe bananas and let’s do this!
[bctt tweet=”Check out this Cracklin’ Oat Bran Banana Ice Cream recipe! #ad #ReimagineCereal #CollectiveBias” username=”lifeslilsweets”]
Cracklin’ Oat Bran Banana Ice Cream
Cracklin’ Oat Bran cereal has been a favorite of mine since I was little. I would snack on it all the time in addition to having it with milk in the morning for breakfast.
There is a cafe in Boston on Commonwealth Avenue that mixes your favorite topping with frozen yogurt and I would go there when I was in high school and always get the same mixed-in topping: Cracklin’ Oat Bran. This Cracklin’ Oat Bran Banana Ice Cream recipe is inspired by that and my new-found love for processing frozen bananas which I learned about from watching the Daniel Tiger show with my daughter (Yes, I watch Daniel Tiger, sometimes daily, okay?!).
I even remember Cracklin’ Oat Bran’s 1980’s commercials with the tag line, “An open box is an empty box.”
That statement could not be more true in my cereal-obsessed household. If a box of cereal is opened, it does not last a day, maybe a day and a half before it is gone. My husband and I love our cereals, for breakfast, snacks and after dinner!
In fact, for this recipe post, I seriously had to tell Eric not to eat my Cracklin’ Oat Bran so I would have enough to make the recipe and get pictures – it was like one of those 1980’s commercials – in real life!
After dinner, this was the dialogue:
Eric: So, where’s the Cracklin’ Oat Bran?
Me: Um, on the shelf…(silence)
Eric: (pause) So, uh, did you, make the recipe? Yet?…(long pause)
Then, in a low voice: Can I have some? (was that a slightly, pout-y face??)
Me: You can have 1 bowl tonight but I need some for tomorrow, then we can eat the rest!
(As I say this from across the kitchen, I am reaching into the box of Cracklin’ Oat Bran and stuffing those delicious O’s into my mouth, one by one)
Both thinking: Yeah, whoever gets to the rest first, gets it all!
Conclusion: Yes, we are, seriously, rationing out Cracklin’ Oat Bran in this house right now and sneaking it here and there (why didn’t I get more boxes?!). Now I know what is going to be at the top of my grocery list…
More About Kellogg’s Cereal
Did you know that cereal has many uses beyond just pouring in a bowl with milk? Just think of all the things you can make with your favorite cereal, I certainly can!
I learned that Kellogg’s is taking classic Kellogg’s breakfast cereals and Pop Tarts and adding in new flavors, ideas and solutions to create some truly never-thought-of-that-before moments. They are definitely thinking about breakfast and snacking in a whole new way which is great for us cereal lovers! Check out my full tutorial below on how to make Cracklin’ Oat Bran Banana Ice Cream.
Ingredients for Cracklin’ Oat Bran Banana Ice Cream
- 9-10 ripe medium-large bananas
- 1 cup Cracklin’ Oat Bran, or more, if desired
- Optional: toppings like whipped cream, cherries, Homemade Chocolate Shell, sprinkles, nuts, etc.
Tools Needed for Cracklin’ Oat Bran Banana Ice Cream
- A loaf pan (9″x 5″x 3″ inches) but also it could be another close in size
- A food processor
- A stiff baking spatula (for scraping out processed banana)
- An ice cream scoop
- Ice cream bowls
Step-By-Step Tutorial for Cracklin’ Oat Bran Banana Ice Cream
- Cut 9-10 ripe bananas into 1/2 inch round slices and put into a loaf pan, cover and freeze overnight. Optional: You can put a piece of parchment paper under the bananas to ensure that you can get them out easier the next day.
- Process 1 cup of Cracklin’ Oat Bran in the food processor until desired crumb size is achieved or almost achieved (the next step may make the crumb smaller).
- Take frozen bananas and process in a food processor until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides if necessary. This may need to be done in batches depending on the size of your food processor. When it is smooth and creamy sprinkle in Cracklin’ Oat Bran crumbs. If you are doing this in batches, make sure to evenly divide the amount of Cracklin’ Oat Bran with the amount of batches. I can usually get everything processed in 2 batches with the size of my food processor. (Note: You can also use a blender (I have done in the past) if you do not have a food processor but it can be more difficult and you need to scrape down the sides more and do it in smaller batches.)
- Transfer processed frozen banana and Cracklin’ Oat Bran mixture back into loaf pan and spread evenly. Refreeze for later or enjoy right away with or without optional toppings. If you decide to freeze it for later, know that you will need it to sit for about 15 minutes to soften up before scooping. Enjoy!
- Please visit this website for more inspiration for creative breakfast and snack creations!
- Please visit this website for inspiration of how we’re communicating other cereal ideas and recipes!
- Please visit this website for inspiration on the Pop-Tarts brand
What’s your favorite cereal? Did you know you can make ice cream out of bananas this way? Please share in the comments below, Thank You!