These Homemade Flour Tortillas are so wholesome and good; it’s such a difference having homemade tortillas over store-bought. They are perfect for wraps, dipping in sauces, and to have with dinner. Only 5 ingredients! (vegan)
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Homemade Flour Tortillas
Hi Everyone, these Homemade Flour Tortillas taste SO much better than store-bought tortillas.
They are perfect for sandwich wraps or for dipping in hummus – or even just by themselves!
There’s something so amazing about homemade bread of any kind.
This recipe is comprised of pantry staples with options to swap out different kinds of oil (I used coconut oil for a dairy-free/vegan option).
You can use the same amount of vegetable oil, vegetable shortening (or lard if you are hardcore caloric-wise).
My husband, Eric, is a huge fan of wraps and he always picks them up when he does the grocery shopping.
Really, eating these Homemade Flour Tortillas makes the store-bought ones taste like cardboard!
I love how these hold up for wrapping a sandwich too, they don’t easily rip which is nice and of course that depends on how thin you make them.
This recipe only requires 5 ingredients:
- 2 cups bread flour (you can substitute the same amount of all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (you can substitute the same amount vegetable oil or vegetable shortening)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2-3/4 cup warm water (you can substitute the same amount warms milk, if not vegan)
- rolling pin
- pastry mat
- tea towels
- dough scraper
- mixing bowls
- wire whisk
You can shop our style below with the LIKEtoKNOW.it app:
👩👧Just a typical day in the kitchen with my girl from yesterday. I have no makeup on, with a top knot, momming it wearing my fav hoodie and we are making homemade tortillas, soon to be #ontheblog, FYI, any recipe involving dough is GREAT for involving Littles in the kitchen – just give them some dough and set them up with their own space next to you and voila! you both will feel accomplished while spending quality time #winwin 👌 ( I found similar items on the LIKEtoKNOW.it app) 😉 Screenshot or ‘like’ this pic to shop the product details from the LIKEtoKNOW.it app, available now from the App Store! #liketkit http://liketk.it/2uiWZ @liketoknow.it #LTKholidayathome #LTKfamily #LTKhome #LTKkids #LTKunder50 #momstyle #momhoodie #topknot #momlife #family #familylife @liketoknow.it.home @liketoknow.it.family #mommyandme #momiform #nomakeup 👉 what’s your go-to momiform piece?
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Jiffy Cornbread Johnny Cake
- Green Bean Casserole
- Thanksgiving Menu 2022
- How to Plan Thanksgiving Dinner
Give these Homemade Flour Tortillas a try!
This post was originally posted on 1/20/2018 and updated and republished 5/11/2021
- 2 cups bread flour, you can substitute the same amount all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, room temperature, you can substitute the same amount vegetable oil or vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2-3/4 cup warm water, you can substitute the same amount warm milk, if not vegan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut the coconut oil using a pastry cutter or your fingertips; the mixture should be crumbly.
- Add the warm water, until sticky dough ball forms. Cover and allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a dough scraper, cut the dough ball into 8-10 balls or 6-8 (to make larger tortillas)
- Working over a lightly floured surface (like a pastry mat), roll each dough ball with a rolling pin, until 1/4 inch or slightly less thick. Handling the dough too much will make the tortillas tough.
- Heat a large skillet on the stovetop and when the pan is heated (no oil is needed to cook them) cook each tortilla until there are little browned spots and flip them over. They should look dry and overcooking will lead to them being hard.
- Keep them wrapped in a tea towel to keep them warm as you cook each one.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
HUNNYBEEE Beeswax Reusable Food Wraps - (7 packs) Beeswax Wrap Sustainable Products, Organic Wax Wrap, Eco-friendly Bees Wrap, Organization Storage Bags, Cheese Bee Wrappers Cling, Wax Paper for Food
Zeppoli Classic Kitchen Towels 15-Pack - 100% Natural Cotton Dish Towels - Reusable Cleaning Cloths - Super Absorbent - Machine Washable Hand Towels - 14” x 25”
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
OXO Good Grips Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Chef'n Pastrio 3-in-1 Bench Scraper Set , Red
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.