Disclaimer: Let me just say that first and foremost, you need to ask your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns on this topic. This blog post serves only as a place where I am compiling resources and information online in my personal search about Pregnancy and Childbirth amid the Covid-19 pandemic and DOES NOT replace the advice your doctor give you. I am sharing it to anyone who may find it useful, information and hopefully reassuring during this uncertain time.
Pregnancy and Birth During The Covid-19 Pandemic – Here is one place to share any information on the Covid-19 virus (Novel Coronavirus) and Pregnancy and Childbirth.
Pregnancy and Birth During The Covid-19 Pandemic
Hi Everyone, In the back of my mind, I hoped that the pandemic would settle before or around my due date of early June 2020 and as of today (3/19/20), it was announced that this could go on until July or August of 2020. I was already searching and researching for information regarding Covid-19 and pregnancy and birth but now I am REALLY researching this topic because it is clear to me that I will be affected by this in some way or another.
Making Birth Plans
I have planned to give birth at my local hospital where I gave birth to my first two children. I have no idea if they are going to be overwhelmed with patients at the time of the birth, there are so many unknowns, I also have concerns about the health of my baby during pregnancy and after she is born.
A Resource for Pregnant Moms Amid the Covid-19 Pandemic
I want to make a space to place all the information that I gather about this topic in one place, not just for myself but for all the other pregnant moms out there, in this blog community and beyond. If you have any information that you want to share with the community, please share in the comments at the end of the post.
Pregnant women are now considered “high-risk” with Covid-19, and should be in the same high-risk group as the elderly. (see below videos)
Information and news are moving very fast right now and as I find more information to share, I can update this post.
Where To Get Up-to-Date Information
- The CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) and their Coronavirus (COVID-19) specific page, Here is their page on Pregnancy & Breastfeeding as related to Covid-19
- WHO (World Health Organization)
- If you know any other helpful places to get information, please let me know!
- (3/22/2020) (Source: CNN.com) A New York hospital system is barring visitors, including partners, during childbirth due to coronavirus risk
- What Coronavirus Means for Pregnancy and Other Things New and Expecting Mothers Should Know (published on 3/19/20 on Propublica – This was sent to me by a friend of mine who is a Doula, Princeton Doulas LLC) “Spoiler alert: If you’re currently pregnant, the birthing experience you expected pre-COVID-19 is likely to be very different from the one you actually get. Your postpartum period will be even more isolated and stressful than it otherwise would have been. Obstetric providers are having to reinvent maternity care in real time to protect you and your baby as well as themselves.”
- Check in With Your Pregnant Friends (published on by herviewfromhome.com
- COVID-19 Is Upending Parents’ Birth Plans (The Atlantic, published 3/19/2020) – “A global pandemic adds several more layers of logistical and emotional overwhelm to the already overwhelming time of new parenthood.”
- Pregnancy, Babies and the Coronavirus: A CDC Expert Answers Your Questions (source: whattoexpect.com)
- How to Manage Coronavirus Anxiety During Pregnancy (source: whattoexpect.com)
Helpful Videos and Information about Pregnancy, Birth and Covid-19
I am sharing some videos I found on YouTube compiled below with information on this topic:
Guidance for pregnant women during COVID-19 pandemic
*This video, “Guidance for pregnant women during COVID-19 pandemic,” was posted on 3/18/2020
Ep. 30 – LiveWell Talk On…COVID-19 and Pregnancy (Dr. Stephen Pedron)
*This is a podcast on YouTube posted on 3/13/2020, some of the information in regards to Covid-19 being aerosolized (the virus lasting in the air, we now know that it can last up to 3 hours in the air) and the travel restrictions (there are now many travel bans and the US-Canada border was closed down as of 3/19/2020)
COVID-19 and Pregnancy
*This video, “COVID-19 and Pregnancy,” was posted on 3/12/2020
This video discusses the small trial that was done in China on infected pregnant women and their pregnancies and births
Pregnancy and Coronavirus (COVID-19)
This video, “Pregnancy and Coronavirus (COVID-19),” is out of the United Kingdom, posted on 3/17/2020:
How COVID-19 affects pregnant women and babies
*This video, “How COVID-19 affects pregnant women and babies,” was posted on 3/15/2020.
COVID-19’s impact on pregnancy
*This video, “COVID-19’s impact on pregnancy,” was posted 3/18/2020.
Covid-19 and your Pregnancy Birth and Baby
*The below video “Covid-19 and your Pregnancy Birth and Baby” was Posted on 3/16/2020
Please Note: She cites Elderberry syrup and a natural immune booster, which is true BUT there are some reports now saying that this worsens symptoms in COVID-19 patients, please consult your healthcare provider for the latest, most accurate information!
How To Give Birth Without Your Partner
It does seem like I would have to give birth without my husband there or it would be just him. I will have to ask my OBGYN.
There are many hospitals that are not allowing anyone to go in with patients and in this situation you may need to give birth by yourself, *this video was posted on 3/18/2020:
I believe the more armed with information we have about this topic, the better. If you have any information on this topic, please share. Thank you for reading and following along. Stay safe everyone! #socialdistancing #shelterinplace