This Single-Layer Mocha Ganache Cake Recipe is a from-scratch cake recipe that is easy to make. Topped with creamy and smooth mocha ganache, this mocha cake recipe is perfect for any occasion (12 slices).
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Table of contents
Single-Layer Mocha Ganache Cake Recipe
Hi Everyone! I want to start this week off right by sharing this awesome Single-Layer Mocha Ganache Cake Recipe.
Last week, I shared Single-Layer Chocolate Ganache Cake Recipe and this is the mocha version.
This Single-Layer Mocha Ganache Cake Recipe is easy to make with standard pantry ingredients.
It makes 12 slices so it can serve a small party.
Who can resist a slice of this Single-Layer Mocha Ganache Cake Recipe?
Sometimes you just need a dose of mocha!
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you. I only recommend brands and products that I 100% like and enjoy using. Thank you in advance for your support!
- I used a Wilton 2104-90005 24 Count Doilies, Multipack, White“>Wilton 9 inch doily underneath the cake over the cake stand.
- I suggest using an Wilton 409-7712 Angled Icing Spatula, 9-Inch, Black“>offset spatula to help spread the mocha ganache
This recipe is inspired by Single-Layer Mocha Ganache Cake Recipe.
I hope you enjoy this Single-Layer Mocha Ganache Cake Recipe as much as my family does!
Our Other Recipes and Posts
- Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Orange Cranberry Crumb Cake
- Wacky Cake
- Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- 12 Father’s Day Recipes
What’s your favorite cake recipe?
Please let me know in the comments below!
- 1st Birthday Cake
- Coffee Limeade
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Lemonade
- Puff Pastry Baked Brie
- Lavender Mint Water
Mocha Cake Recipe
- 1 cup cake flour, You can substitute all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white granulated sugar, I use organic
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, I suggest using highest quality available
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, If you do not have buttermilk, can substitute 3/4 cup regular milk with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes
- 1-2 packets Starbucks Via Italian or Dark Roast instant coffee (I use 2 packets), You can substitute 1 teaspoon another brand instant coffee
- 1/3 cup canola oil, You can substitute vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, I use farm fresh eggs whenever possible
Mocha Ganache Recipe for Frosting
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, can substitute coffee creamer if whipping cream is unavailable
- 1 packet Starbucks Via Italian or Dark Roast instant coffee, You can substitute 1 teaspoon another brand instant coffee
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate chip morsels, use highest quality chocolate available, you can can substitute dark
- 1 tube white decorating frosting with preferred tip (4.25 ounce/120 grams), optional, if lettering or decorating, I use Betty Crocker piping frosting available in the grocery baking aisle
Mocha Cake Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 2 inch round cake pan. Tap out the excess flour.
- Using a large mixing bowl, stir together cake flour, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt - make sure the dry ingredients are well blended.
- Dissolve the 1 or 2 packets of Starbucks Via Italian Roast (or another dark roast) in the buttermilk.
- Add the buttermilk-instant coffee mixture, oil and vanilla, beat until just combined, and add the large egg, then beat more until combined. You don't want to overbeat the batter, so it will not be tough. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. 30 minutes always works best for me but baking time will depend on one's individual oven. *While the cake is baking, closer to when it's done, you can work on the mocha ganache frosting (see instruction below), if you want you can also wait until the cake is completely cooled.
- When the cake is done baking, allow to cool in the cake pan on a trivet or wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the cake pan (you can use a plate to flip it over from the pan being careful not to drop the cake) and let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting with mocha ganache.
- When cake is completely cool, frost with mocha ganache. Use an offset spatula to spread the ganache. You can cool the cake in the refrigerator to allow the ganache to harden up before using the white decorating frosting for lettering.
Mocha Ganache for Frosting
- Heat heavy whipping cream in a small or medium saucepan until it is almost boiling. Stir in 1 packet Starbucks Via Italian Roast. Remove from heat. Pour 6 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate morsels into the hot cream making sure that the chocolate morsels are covered by the liquid. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, stir in one direction, slowly and steadily until combined and smooth. Spread over the cooled chocolate cake, spread with an offset spatula starting in the middle and working your way to the edges and sides if you wish.
- You can cool the cake in the refrigerator to allow the ganache to harden up before using the white decorating frosting for lettering. Serve and enjoy!
You can cool the cake in the refrigerator to allow the ganache to harden up before using the white decorating frosting for lettering. Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Wilton Aluminum 8-Inch Round Cake Pan Set, Multipack of 2
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
Wilton Bake Even Cake Strips, 2-Piece
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Icing Spatula, 7.5" - 10.8" - 12.8" Offset Cake Spatula Set with Wooden Handle by 1Easylife, Professional Stainless Steel Cake Decorating Spatulas (4"-6"-8" Blade)
Ateco 612 Revolving Cake Decorating Stand, 12" Round, Cast Iron Base with 1/8" Aluminum Top
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 221mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 11g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.