Passion Flower Tea: This post originally appeared on the bMAKER blog as How to Make Passion Flower Tea.
Passion Flower Tea is a hot, soothing tea that is said to help promote a restful nights sleep. It is said to reduce stress and anxiety. Enjoy this lovely tea with or without milk and honey, at bedtime or any time of the day!
Passion Flower Tea
Hi Everyone, it’s always a good time for some soothing tea, right? This Passion Flower Tea is served hot or iced and goes great with honey or you can leave it unsweetened. This is a tea that can be enjoyed year round and is very easy to make.
I use bMAKER dried, food grade passion flower to make this Passion Flower Tea.
I love enjoying Passion Flower tea during the day or before bed. It has a benefit of promoting a restful nights sleep which is wonderful. You can make it by the cup or in a tea pot.
Full disclaimer: I want to preface this recipe with encouraging you to talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about Passion Flower Tea, it might not be good if you are taking certain medications. I am certainly not a doctor, just a tired mom who enjoys her herbal tea!
I have heard that it can also be made into an herbal tincture. I have not tried this but if you have, let me know in the comments below.
Benefits of Passion Flowers*
Passion flower is native to Central, South America and you can use just the leaves or the whole plant. It has traditionally been used to heal bruises and cuts.
- is said to relive stress, depression and anxiety
- is said to help with any nervous restlessness and gastrointestinal spasms
- promotes a restful nights sleep, helping with insomnia
- has been used to treat women in menopause, experiencing hot flashes
- it has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- reduces hypertension, lowers blood pressure
A description of passion flower, as quoted from the bMAKER package:
“Passion flower is cultivated and harvested for its leaves, stems and flowers, which produce a lovely tea. It is often combined with other calming herbs in tea blends, including valerian, lemon balm and hops.”
Important Precautions with Passion Flower (Tea)
- do not take if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or if you have liver damage or disease – please, consult your doctor
- passion flower can interfere with blood thinning and blood pressure medications, again please consult your doctor, if you have any concerns
- since passion flower has sedative effects, it’s important to not consume it before or while driving or operating any machinery for safety reasons – let’s be safe people!
- I would also venture to say, if you suffer from sleep apnea, I would consult your doctor before consuming passion flower
Make sure to cover the cup (or teapot) when steeping the tea, to keep all the beneficial oils within the tea.
Ingredients for Passion Flower Tea
- dried, food grade passion flower tea
- hot water
- milk or preferred nutmilk, optional
- honey or preferred sweetener, optional
Helpful Kitchen Tools for Making Passion Flower Tea
I made sure to link to the ingredients and helpful kitchen tools in the recipe card below.
- tea kettle
- tea sac tea bag or tea diffuser
- tea pot for steeping the tea
- spoon for stirring
- heat safe mug
- honey dipper, optional, if using honey
If you try this Passion Flower Tea and you like it, give it a rating and let us know in the comments below. Thank you for reading and following along!
Our Other Tea & Drink Recipes
- How to Make Chrysanthemum Flower Tea (2019)
- Heather Flower Tea (2019)
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Recipe (2018)
- Thai Iced Tea (2018)
- Cold Brew Hibiscus Tea (2018)
- Hibiscus Tea (2018)
- Fresh Basil Flower Tea (2017)
- Fresh Mint Tea (2017)
- Citrus Honey Ginger Tea (2016)
- Cold-Brewed Smashed Raspberry Honey Iced Tea (2015)
- Related: Home Brew Kombucha (2019)
- Hops Golden Milk (2018)
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Lemonade (2018)
- Rosewater (2018)
- 1-2 teaspoons dried, food grade passion flower tea
- 1 cup hot water
- milk or nutmilk, optional, amount to taste
- honey or preferred sweetener, optional, amount to taste
- Place 1-2 teaspoons dried, passion flower in a heat safe mug, set aside.
- On the stove top, bring tea kettle to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, carefully pour the hot water over the dried passion flowers. Cover to steep 5-8 minutes.
- When it's done steeping, using a spoon remove any floating passion flowers. *note you can use a tea diffuser or T-Sac filter (link below) to help separate the tea leaves from the water.
- To make a larger amount, you can use a teapot to steep and just adjust the amount of dried passion flower, depending on the amount of water it holds. I suggest using a tea diffuser or T-Sac to help filter the tea leaves.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @lifeslittlesweets and hashtag it #lifeslittlesweets
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Libbey Robusta Glass Mugs, Set of 12
- Teapot Kettle with Warmer - Tea Pot and Tea Infuser Set - Glass Tea Maker Infusers Holds 3-4 Cups Loose Leaf Iced Blooming or Flowering Tea Filter- Teapots Kettles Tea Strainer Steeper Tea Pots
- T-Sac Tea Filter Bags, Disposable Tea Infuser, Number 2-Size, 2 to 4-Cup Capacity, Set of 200
- OXO BREW Classic Tea Kettle
- bMAKER- Edible & Kosher Certified Dried Flowers Sampler: Passion Flowers, Hibiscus, Elder, Heather, Hops and Chrysanthemum Flowers - Best for Culinary, and DIY Soap Making, Bath Bomb & Crafts
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 9g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
Our Other Recipes & Posts
- You can see all the posts and recipes on Life’s Little Sweets using bMAKER ingredients, here
- Check out our Recipe index and DIY index and visit our Home page to view our latest posts
- We have a partnership with bMAKER, to read more about our partnership, visit here
- *Source: www.indigo-herbs.co.uk
- 9 Steps to Combat Lazy Blogger Syndrome
- Create by Mediavine
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Latte (Mermaid Latte)
- Hops Flower Tea
- Anti-Inflammatory Recipes Collection
- Flower Ice Cubes
- Lemon Recipes Collection
- New Years Eve Recipes Collection
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Recipe Collection
- Tea Recipes Collection