Lentil Soup with Celery Root has celery (stalks), celery root, onions, olive oil, coconut oil, brown lentils, vegetable broth, garlic, and a few other ingredients. It is a healthy, savory vegan, gluten-free soup to warm you up through cold weather or year-round.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Table of contents
Lentil Soup with Celery Root
Hi Everyone, need a soup to get you through this cold weather?
Try this Lentil Soup with Celery Root!
It’s warming, healthy (vegan and gluten-free) and it has that freshness you crave in the Winter from the celery stalks and root in the recipe.
I used celery root from my local farmer’s market Roots to River farm.
This recipe is definitely inspired by the seasons and what’s available through the Winter.
I love lentils, they are so hearty and satisfying.
It’s so nice to make a huge batch of soup and have it last for days to heat up whenever you are craving a bowl.
I also love celery because it’s so fresh and healthy, it makes any soup broth much better – this soup is like a celebration of celery because it includes the stalk and the root.
The coconut oil in this recipe adds the “fat” component that you would get in a soup that contains meat, like a chicken soup, you would be amazed how coconut oil adds that extra something that makes this soup very satisfying.
I find myself adding more coconut oil on top with every serving.
The coconut oil gives you a “stick to your ribs” feeling when having this Lentil Soup.
I added affiliate links to the ingredients and helpful kitchen tools in the recipe card below.
If you make this Lentil Soup with Celery Root, let us know in the comments below!
Let me know what your favorite Winter soup is too!
- 1 (16 ounce bag/1 pound/454 grams) bag green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, regular
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery stalks, washed, chopped
- 1 cup celery root, peeled, washed, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth (if not vegan, you can use chicken broth)
- 2 cups water, plus more to adjust consistency, if needed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Kosher salt, amount to taste
- fresh ground peppercorn medley or black pepper, amount to taste
- thin sliced celery, optional to garnish
- On the stove top, in a large soup pot or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add olive oil, garlic and onions, when they are translucent, add the chopped celery stalks and root, stir and cook for 8-10 minutes until celery is softened and slightly browned.
- Add water and vegetable broth. Add lentils and coconut oil, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender and soft. Depending on the consistency you want you may need to add more water/vegetable broth to thin out the soup.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper until you get the desired savory taste you want. Remove bay leaves before servings.
- Serve and optionally top with fresh thin slices of celery, enjoy!
- this soup tastes great on day 2, the next day it will have thickened overnight and you might need to add water (or m ore vegetable broth) to get a thinner consistency. Make sure to add more salt and season to taste accordingly.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @lifeslittlesweets and hashtag it #lifeslittlesweets
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red)
OXO Good Grips Brushed Stainless Steel Ladle
OXO 1137680 Good Grips 3-Piece Peeler Set, 10-inch, Green/Orange/Red
Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
HÖLM 3-Piece Stainless Steel Mesh Micro-Perforated Strainer Colander Set (1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4.5-Quart)
DOWAN 22oz Porcelain Soup/Cereal Bowls - 4 Packs, White
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4-6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 584mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.