This Rice Krispies Treats Recipe yields big, butter-y and chewy squares (makes 9 squares).
Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Hi Everyone! One of my favorite, quick-to-make, cereal snacks are Rice Krispies Treats. I share the way I make them which differs from the original recipe and I use a different size pan (8 x 8 inch) to get BIG squares – only 3 ingredients required!
Ingredients for Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
- 3 tablespoons salted butter You can substitute the same amount unsalted butter if you don’t have salted butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows you can substitute 1 package (10 ounce or 40 marshmallows) jet-puffed marshmallows, use fresh marshmallows for best results, 1 7 ounce jar of marshmallow creme can be substituted
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you. I only recommend brands and products that I 100% like and enjoy using. Thank you in advance for your support!
Kitchen Tools for Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
- 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan
- Reynolds Kitchens Parchment Paper (Premium, Non-Stick, 75 Square Foot Roll, 2 Count)” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>parchment paper
- Measuring Cups and Measuring Spoons set by Simply Gourmet. Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 12. Liquid Measuring Cup or Dry Measuring Cup Set. Stainless Measuring Cups, Nesting cups” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>measuring cups
- Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Dutch Oven, 8 1/2-quart, Black” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>Dutch oven (this is the updated version of what I use, I love the clear lid, so you can see what’s cooking) or large pan for making on the stove
- Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>Microwave safe bowl (if using microwave directions)
- Wilton 570-1121 Easy Flex 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set, Blue” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>baking spatula
- Cuisinart 12 Piece Color Knife Set with Blade Guards (6 knives and 6 knife covers), Jewel – Amazon Exclusive” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>knife for cutting the squares
To get big squares, using the 8 x 8 pan is essential.
This makes the perfect after school, sports, breakfast or anytime snack!
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, You can substitute the same amount unsalted butter if you don't have salted butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows, you can substitute 1 package (10 ounce or 40 marshmallows) jet-puffed marshmallows, use fresh marshmallows for best results, 1 7 ounce jar of marshmallow creme can be substituted
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Butter a 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan, optionally, you can lay a piece of parchment in the pan with the ends hanging over so you can more easily remove the squares.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, melt the salted butter over low heat.
- Add the mini marshmallows and stir until melted and combined with the butter. Remove from heat
- Add 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal. Gently mix until combined. Spread into the prepared pan. Allow to cool.
- When they are cool, cut into 9, big squares. Serve and eat right away. Enjoy!
- Using a large microwave-safe bowl, heat the salted butter and marshmallows on high for 3 minutes. Stir to combine and until smooth. (individual microwave times may vary). Follow with steps 4-6. Enjoy!
- This recipe requires 8 x 8 x 2 pan
- use fresh marshmallows for best results
- I do not recommend substituting margarine for the salted butter
- Best if eaten right away, store up to 2 days in an airtight container
- you can freeze this recipe up to 6 weeks (after removing from the refrigerator, allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 671Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 155gFiber: 0gSugar: 100gProtein: 4g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
The Original Treats
Do you love Rice Krispies Treats? Please let me know in the comments below! Best, ~Sara
Pin This! ⇓