This Rice Krispies Treats Recipe yields big, buttery and chewy squares (makes 9 squares).
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Table of contents
Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Hi Everyone! One of my favorite, quick-to-make, cereal snacks are Rice Krispies Treats.
I share the way I make them which differs from the original recipe and I use a different size pan (8 x 8 inches) to get BIG squares – only 3 ingredients required!
- 3 tablespoons salted butter You can substitute the same amount of unsalted butter if you don’t have salted butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows you can substitute 1 package (10 ounce or 40 marshmallows) jet-puffed marshmallows, use fresh marshmallows for best results, 1 7 ounce jar of marshmallow creme can be substituted
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan
- parchment paper
- measuring cups
- Dutch oven (this is the updated version of what I use, I love the clear lid, so you can see what’s cooking) or a large pan for making on the stove
- Microwave safe bowl (if using microwave directions)
- baking spatula
- knife for cutting the squares
To get big squares, using the 8 x 8 pan is essential.
This makes the perfect after school, sports, breakfast or anytime snack!
The Original Treats
- No-Knead Flaxseed Bread
- Tiramisu Trifle Recipe
- Tri Color Salad
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Mint Shortcake with Ladyfingers
Our Other Recipes and Posts
Do you love Rice Krispies Treats?
Please let me know in the comments below!
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, You can substitute the same amount unsalted butter if you don't have salted butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows, you can substitute 1 package (10 ounce or 40 marshmallows) jet-puffed marshmallows, use fresh marshmallows for best results, 1 7 ounce jar of marshmallow creme can be substituted
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Butter a 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan, optionally, you can lay a piece of parchment in the pan with the ends hanging over so you can more easily remove the squares.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, melt the salted butter over low heat.
- Add the mini marshmallows and stir until melted and combined with the butter. Remove from heat
- Add 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal. Gently mix until combined. Spread into the prepared pan. Allow cooling.
- When they are cool, cut into 9, big squares. Serve and eat right away. Enjoy!
- Using a large microwave-safe bowl, heat the salted butter and marshmallows on high for 3 minutes. Stir to combine and until smooth. (individual microwave times may vary). Follow with steps 4-6. Enjoy!
- This recipe requires an 8 x 8 x 2 pan
- use fresh marshmallows for best results
- I do not recommend substituting margarine for the salted butter
- Best if eaten right away, store up to 2 days in an airtight container
- you can freeze this recipe for up to 6 weeks (after removing it from the refrigerator, allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 671Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 155gFiber: 0gSugar: 100gProtein: 4g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.