How To Deep Clean Your Home – Cleaning Your Home During the Covid-19 Pandemic. We share facts from the CDC and what we are doing in our own homes to clean. Included is a printable How-To Card, with a list of materials (cleaning supplies and products), tools (cleaning tools, ex. mop, mop bucket, etc.), and a simple list of rooms in the house to check off as you go through each room of your house.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of contents
- How To Deep Clean Your Home
How To Deep Clean Your Home
have you been thinking more about maintaining a clean household during this time?
I am writing this post amidst the 2019-2020 Covid-19 Pandemic and I think it’s safe to say that most people are more concerned with cleanliness at this time.
You may find yourself stuck at home (like us) in a state where there’s a lockdown and you have more time in your house to clean which is a perfectly fine, relevant, and productive way to pass the time.
We can’t control the news but we can control the cleanliness of our homes!
We are staying at home and practicing social distancing during this time, and with all this time in the house, it’s such a great time to get cleaning and get the entire family (just in your house, of course) involved doing their part!
I have a guide of what to clean, room-by-room in the printable, How-To below.
I started this list to organize and prepare myself when cleaning my own house and decided to share it with our blog community here if you need a thought-starter, list, or a little push to get going on your cleaning too!
In This Post
Below, I gathered together information and videos from the CDC and other news outlets to help guide you through what needs to be cleaned and start off with a baseline of what we are dealing with.
At the end of the post, I have a printable How-To Card, with a list of materials (cleaning supplies and products), tools (cleaning tools, ex. mop, mop bucket, etc.), and a simple list of rooms in the house to check off as you go through each room of your house.
You can spend 30 minutes a day or a whole day cleaning as you work through the rooms, it’s up to you and your schedule!
I would love to hear what works for you in the comments and your personal deep cleaning strategy.
How Does Coronavirus Covid-19 Spread?
As quoted from the CDC website:
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
Here’s a video from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention):
How Long the Covid-19 Virus Can Survive On Different Surfaces
Here’s video from Business Insider (on YouTube) about how long the virus can survive on different surfaces:
According to the above Science Insider video:
- Air: can linger on droplets for about 3 hours
- Copper: 4 hours
- Cardboard: 24 hours
- Plastic: 2-3 days
- Stainless Steel: 2-3 days
- The Covid-19 virus lives the longest on non-porous surfaces
- The Covid-19 can live longer on surfaces than the common flu
CDC Guidelines on How to Clean and Disinfect
As quoted from the CDC.gov website:
Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
If surfaces are dirty, clean them: Use detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
Most common EPA-registered household disinfectants will work. Use disinfectants appropriate for the surface.
Diluting your household bleach.
To make a bleach solution, mix:
5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water
4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application and proper ventilation. Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted.
Ensure solution has at least 70% alcohol.
You can see the CDC’s official Coronavirus page, Here
It is so important to properly wash your hand several times a day and whenever needed.
Here is an official CDC video on how to properly handwash:
Rooms of the House to Clean
Here’s a list of rooms in the house to clean top to bottom:
- Dining Room
- Living Room
- Bed Room(s)
- Attic Space/Storage Space(s)
- Tidy Yard/Outside
- Pet areas
- Did I miss a room? Let me know in the comments below, thanks in advance!
What We are Doing in Our Home
- Shoes: We are leaving shoes that we actively use outside our house and I am working on setting up a bin outside to keep them in so that they do not even come into the house. In the last few days, I’ve noticed less debris in our house already. Yay for progress! Our other shoes that we are not actively using, stay in our family shoe closet and I am working on thinking of a piece of furniture to have by the entry or some sort of solution to better store and organize them.
- Kids Table (dining room): Every day at least once per day, I sanitize the whole table and chairs with bleach. I also wipe down the table surface with soapy water (Dawn dish soap)
- Set Your Cleaning Rhythm and Schedule: Saturday is our rest day (just maintaining cleanliness) and Sunday is reset day when I tackle bigger jobs before the week ahead, for example, disinfecting all the floor surfaces. On weekdays, I keep up with laundry, every day, I keep up with dishes
- Safety First: Remember, when cleaning, protect your hands and wear gloves, if you are using chemicals, turn on a fan or open the window for ventilation and take breaks if you need to!
- Check Back: As we go through our house deep cleaning, I will add more thoughts & ideas here.
Latest Posts and Recipes
- Burnt Basque Cheesecake
- Delicata Squash Recipe
- Olive Oil Cake
- Taylor Swift’s Chai Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Peach Slump
Thank you for reading this, “How to Deep Clean Your Home,” How-To post.
If you have any cleaning ideas or suggestions (did I miss anything?), please let us know in the comments below.
Thank you for reading and following along!
Stay safe everyone!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
To see a Live Global World Map of Cases of Coronavirus (Covid-19) by Johns Hopkins University & Medicine, Here
- bleach (Clorox Clean-Up All Purpose Cleaner with Bleach)
- spray bottles
- non-scratch sponges (scotch brite)
- micro fiber cleaning cloths
- paper towels
- Dawn dish soap
- Ivory bar soap
- Antibacterial Hand soap
- Clorox or Lysol Disinfecting Wipes
- hand sanitizer
- Safeguard Nitrile Disposable Gloves, Powder Free, Food Grade Gloves, Latex Free, 100 Pc. Dispenser Pack, Medium Size, Blue]
- Reusable Rubber Gloves
- Scrub Brushes
- Lysol Spray
- Wood cleaner
- Laundry Detergent Pacs (Amazon Brand - Solimo Laundry Detergent Pacs, Free & Clear, Hypoallergenic, Free of Perfumes Clear of Dyes, 120 count)
- Clorox 2 Laundry Stain Remover and Color Booster
- OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Powder
Books & Inspiration
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
- Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up (The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up)
- Tidying Up with Marie Kondo: The Book Collection: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and Spark Joy
- Kitchen - Clean all surfaces, especially, frequently used surfaces top to bottom.
- Dining Room - Clean all surfaces, especially, frequently used surfaces top to bottom.
- Living Room - Clean all surfaces, especially, frequently used surfaces top to bottom.
- Bed Room(s) - Clean all surfaces, especially, frequently used surfaces top to bottom.
- Bathroom(s) - Clean all surfaces, especially, frequently used surfaces top to bottom.
- Closet(s) - sort, discard and/or donate unwanted items and clean.
- Entry/Hallway(s) - Clean all surfaces, especially, frequently used surfaces top to bottom.
- Attic Space/Storage Space(s) - sort, discard and/or donate unwanted items and clean
- Garage - organize and clean
- Tidy Yard/Outside - organize and clean
- Donating: I have had great luck with Goodwill, try to find a Goodwill with a drive up where you can take items out and not have to enter into a store. If donation centers are closed in your area due to state-wide closures, stage items in a storage area of your home to donate at a later date.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, Fridge-N-Freezer Pack, Odor Absorber, 14 oz - 2 Pack
Soft Scrub Multi-Purpose Kitchen and Bathroom Cleanser with Oxi, 36 Ounce (Pack of 1)
Clorox ToiletWand Disposable Toilet Cleaning System - 2 ToiletWands, 2 Storage Caddies and 12 Disinfecting ToiletWand Refill Heads
Clorox Toilet Plunger and Brush Combo, Brush & Plunger, White 2 Piece
Lysol Power & Fresh Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Country Scent, 48oz (2X24oz)
Clorox Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets with Bleach - 4 Count (Pack of 2)
Murphy's Oil Soap Original Wood Cleaner - 32 fluid ounce (3 Count)
Tidying Up with Marie Kondo: The Book Collection: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and Spark Joy
Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up (The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up)
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Powder, 7.22 lbs.
Clorox 2 Laundry Stain Remover and Color Booster, Clean Linen, 66 Ounce Bottle
Amazon Brand - Solimo Laundry Detergent Pacs, Free & Clear, Hypoallergenic, Free of Perfumes Clear of Dyes, 120 count
Windex Original Glass and Window Cleaner Spray Bottle, Original Blue, 23 fl oz - Pack of 6
Libman Scrub Brush Kit, Green White - 1207
AmazonBasics Professional Reusable Rubber Gloves, Medium, Yellow, 3-Pack
Safeguard Nitrile Disposable Gloves, Powder Free, Food Grade Gloves, Latex Free, 100 Pc. Dispenser Pack, Medium Size, Blue
PURELL Advanced Hand Sanitizer, Refreshing Gel, 8 fl oz Hand Sanitizer Counter Top Pump Bottles (Case of 12) – 3015-12-CMR
Softsoap Liquid Hand Soap Pump, Antibacterial Crisp Clean, 11.25 Ounce
Ivory Soap, Original 4 oz Bars 10 ea (Pack of 3)
Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap, Original Scent, 2Count, 56 Oz.(Packaging May Vary)
Amazon Brand - Solimo Basic Flex-Sheets Paper Towels, 6 Value Rolls, White, 148 Sheets per Roll
AIDEA Microfiber Cleaning Cloths All-Purpose Softer Highly Absorbent, Lint Free - Streak Free Wash Cloth for House, Kitchen, Car, Window, Gifts(12in.x 12in.)-(Pack-50)
Scotch-Brite Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges, Cleaning Power for Everyday Jobs, 9 Scrub Sponges
Clorox Clean-Up All Purpose Cleaner with Bleach, Refill Bottle, Original, 64 Ounces
16oz Cobalt Blue Glass Spray Bottles with Measurements - Empty Reusable Refillable Container with Funnel and Labels for Mixing Essential Oils, Homemade Cleaning Products(2 Pack)