No-Churn Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: This No-Churn Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is kid-friendly, easy to customize, and doesn’t require the use of an ice cream maker!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Steele Hill Resorts, all opinions are my own.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of contents
No-Churn Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Hi Everyone, my 4th of July, 2015 week was filled with good times, yummy food, and family – to me, that is what the 4th of July holiday is all about.
This recipe came out of wanting to do a kid-friendly recipe with my nieces while we were on a family vacation at Steele Hill Resorts, in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire (Sanbornton, NH).
I planned the recipe as a fun, bonding activity to do with my nieces and I want to give them credit for picking out the ingredients that would go into the ice cream: fresh, in-season cherries (the cherry season is typically the month of June in my state of NJ) & milk chocolate chips.
They named this recipe, “Cherry for Me-Ahh,” jokingly similar to the famous ice cream flavor by Ben and Jerry’s (an ice cream brand family favorite).
My parents have had a timeshare at Steele Hill Resorts since I was in high school (at the time of this post, 15+ years) and no matter where we have all moved to over the years, pretty much every year we make the pilgrimage up to Sanbornton, NH and share some family time together.
We have had countless memories there, one of them including my wedding on July 16th, 2011.
That day was pretty special!
Thank goodness Steele Hill’s in-room kitchens are fully-equipped – I didn’t have to pack anything like mixing bowls, utensils, or a hand mixer – what a convenience!
We made it in the kitchen, froze it overnight, and served it the next day outside on one of the many big picnic tables available and my three nieces had fun customizing the toppings on their sundaes.
I love showing the kids that you can make your own ice cream instead of buying it already made in the store, it’s empowering, educational and fun at the same time!
Nothing delights like ice cream on a hot day, right?
- 1 pint (2 cups) of heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups diced, fresh red cherries
- 6 ounces of milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- A stand mixer with the whip attachment (I have a KitchenAid one at home) or hand mixer for whipping the whipped cream (Steele Hill had a Hamilton Beach hand mixer in their in-room kitchen, that did the job nicely!) After using that hand-mixer – which I found to be simple, portable & easy to clean up – I am considering getting one myself 🙂
- A baking spatula is very useful (but not necessary) for scraping-out all the ice cream batter.
- Mixing bowls(Steele Hill had this exact set in their in-room kitchen)
- A loaf pan
- I brought up my ice cream scoop, you can find it on Amazon.com for $9.20, Boston Warehouse Ice Cream Spade, Whale Design, it’s a strong & sturdy, spade style of the scoop and I like it very much.
- For toppings, we used chocolate and rainbow sprinkles and chocolate sauce.
- You can customize the type of chocolate, we used milk chocolate because that is my nieces favorite but semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate would also pair nicely with the fresh, ripe cherries.
- In our case, we wanted larger, chunky, chocolate pieces in the ice cream but if you prefer smaller chocolate pieces, try chopping the chocolate chip morsels before adding them to the ice cream.
- Adding in your favorite type of chopped nut, perhaps walnuts, pecans, or almonds may also be a nice addition. (1/2 cup to 1 cup chopped nuts)
- Pictured below: My niece, Isabella, serves up some yummy ice cream, and myself holding my daughter Margo.
The No Churn Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is served!
Below is a photo of my nieces and daughter & myself at Steele Hill Resort in Sanbornton, NH with a gorgeous view of Lake Winnisquam in the background:
Have you made this recipe or a similar no-churn recipe?
What is your favorite no-churn ice cream recipe and flavor?
Have you been to Steele Hill or the Lakes Region of New Hampshire?
Please share in the comments below, I would like to hear your experience.
I have been making a no-churn ice cream recipe in different iterations for a little while now.
There are many versions online. I first saw, “No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe,” on instructables.com (there’s also a cute video!), and that one is based on another recipe, “No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream,” on MarthaStewart.com.
Our Latest Recipes and Posts
- How to Brown Butter
- Rice Pudding
- Food Processor Pizza Dough
- Bran Muffins
- Decaffeinated Dalgona Coffee
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
Thank you for reading and following along!
- Whip the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract to stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, diced & mushed cherries, and chocolate chips. Gently fold in the condensed milk mixture into the vanilla whipped cream until combined. Pour into a loaf pan, cover, and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Enjoy on its own or with toppings of your choice!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
USA Pan Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan 1140LF 8.5 x 4.5 x 3 Inch, Small, Silver
Cuisinart HM-90S Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, White
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Long Handle Spoon, MCIRCO Stainless Steel Spoon Set Mixing Spoon Ice Cream Spoon Long Spoon Iced Tea Spoon Coffee Spoon Dessert Spoon Milkshake Spoon,Set of 8(Ice spoon)
Spring Chef Ice Cream Scoop with Comfortable Handle, Black
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2758Total Fat: 108gSaturated Fat: 68gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 255mgSodium: 822mgCarbohydrates: 395gFiber: 6gSugar: 382gProtein: 56g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.