Bananas Foster Dessert Recipe: I am a contributor to Amanda’s Cookin’ and this recipe first appeared on there as Banana Split Dessert.
(msg 21+) This Bananas Foster Dessert Recipe is a version of a classic dessert invented in 1951 by a New Orleans chef, Paul Blangé. It combines differing temperatures of cold vanilla ice cream and a warm, banana, rum-infused caramel sauce. Enjoy with or without nuts (walnuts or pecans). (Serves 6)
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of contents
Bananas Foster Dessert Recipe
Hi Everyone! I have a classic, delicious dessert recipe to share with you today: Bananas Foster Dessert Recipe.
Did you see my No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream? It is the perfect base for the warm rum and banana-infused caramel sauce.
Ingredients for Bananas Foster Dessert Recipe
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of salted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 bananas, sliced in half and then lengthwise in thick slices
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 ground cinnamon
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Kitchen Tools for Bananas Foster Dessert Recipe
- T-fal A91082 Specialty Nonstick Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Jumbo Cooker Saute Pan with Glass Lid Cookware, 5-Quart, Black“>large skillet
- measuring Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 10pcs Stainless Steel for Kitchen, Cooking, Baking, Silicone Handle Colorful (WSTECHCO)“>spoons and cups
- OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Tool Set“>spoon for stirring bananas foster sauce in the skillet
- BIC Multi-purpose Classic Edition Lighter, 2-Pack“>lighter wand for igniting the rum in the bananas foster sauce
- OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Tool Set“>ladle for serving bananas fosters sauce
You can omit the pecans or walnuts, if you want, although they go so well and add texture to this creamy dessert.
This recipe is great for Spring and Summer but would be great year round with the cinnamon and vanilla flavors.
I know you are going to love this Bananas Foster Dessert Recipe!
Recipe Attribution and Resources
The bananas foster sauce is inspired by Bananas Foster from Pioneer Woman.
Information resources from Wikipedia, Bananas Foster.
- 10 4th of July Recipes
- Layered Lasagna Lush Dessert Recipes
- Rose Water Simple Syrup
- Perfect Coconut Cream Lush Dessert Recipe
- Chocolate Butterscotch Saltine Toffee
- Luscious Mocha Lush Dessert Recipe
- Ice Cream Recipes Collection
- Root Beer Float Popsicles
- Cherry Cobbler Recipe
What’s your favorite banana dessert recipe?
Please let me know in the comments below!
- How to Make Half and Half
- Pan-Fried Fairytale Eggplant
- Wacky Cake
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
- Egg In a Hole Bagel
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 recipe No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream
Bananas Foster Sauce
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream , or substitute the same amount whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dark rum, I use Myers Dark Rum
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream
- Prepare the No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream ahead of time or use store-bought vanilla ice cream.
Bananas Foster Sauce
- In a large, heavy skillet, over medium heat, melt the unsalted butter and add the brown sugar, stir until combined. Add the cream, bananas, and nuts. The mixture should bubble but not burn. Pour in dark rum and combine. Using a lighter wand light the mixture and it should go out on its own. Remove from heat, stir in cinnamon, and optional vanilla extract. Ladle over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy right away!
You can also keep the sauce in the refrigerator. Please note: Be careful of the open flame! If you don't want to ignite the rum, just cook the sauce for 1-2 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.