Macerated Triple Berry Topping
Macerated Triple Berry Topping is naturally sweet, does not require heat to make, unless you want to serve it warm, which is oh-so-nice! It has a caramel flavor in the syrup because of the naturally sweet coconut sugar, along with organic maple syrup or honey. A teaspoon of Disaronno liquor completes this topping’s multi-layered flavor. You can enjoy this topping over ice cream, meringue cookies, cake, brownies – just to name a few options – any dessert is sure to be this topping’s perfect partner!
Do you know the verb macerate? If not, here’s the definition below, courtesy of Google:
- (especially with reference to food) soften or become softened by soaking in a liquid.
- The berries soak for at least 2 hours or overnight and some of their liquid comes out into the coconut sugar, maple syrup, Disaronno mixture and it makes this heavenly mixture of flavors.
As I write this, I am trying to get over a cold and my daughter is also sick with the same cold – oh February, you. This is the time of the Winter when everyone I know seems sick with something and all I can think about is warmer weather. When I think of warmer weather, I also think of recipes that remind me of warmer weather, namely, anything with berries. Luckily, I made this before, I got sick last Monday for a family dinner. I served it warm over meringue cookies drizzled with melted chocolate. I really need to make that for the blog, it was good, delicately, deliciously good and now I want more.
Above is a photo collage of the steps to make Macerated Triple Berry Topping start to finish 🙂
Macerated Triple Berry Topping
- 6 ounces blackberries , washed and rinsed *you can use any combination of 3 types of berries, as long as it adds up to the same amount 16 ounces total or 1 lb.
- **you can also set a few fresh berries aside for garnishing
- 6 ounces raspberries , washed and rinsed
- 6 ounces blueberries , washed and rinsed
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (this works with the same amount of granulated sugar if you don't have coconut sugar on hand)
- optional ingredients/suggestions:
- 1/2-1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite liquor , perhaps Disaronno liquor or a dark rum would be nice (I used Disaronno for this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
- optional: 1 tablespoon honey (I didn't use honey but it would be a lovely flavor in this topping)
- Mix washed and rinsed berries together in a medium bowl, sprinkle the coconut sugar over them and any additional optional ingredients. Gently mix, until berries are evenly coated, cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours. When you remove the mixture from the refrigerator, gently stir the mixture to help dissolve the coconut sugar if it's not already dissolved. This mixture does taste delicious heated up in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and 30 seconds more. Then spoon the mixture over whatever dessert you like, enjoy!
[bctt tweet=”Macerated Triple Berry Topping”]
HAVE YOU TRIED MACERATED FRUIT? WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE BERRIES? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!