Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Indulge in a unique twist on classic toffee with this Cheez-It Toffee recipe! A delightful fusion of sweet and savory, it combines the buttery richness of homemade toffee with the irresistible crunch of Cheez-It crackers. The simple yet satisfying recipe involves creating a toffee base, pouring it over a layer of Cheez-Its, and finishing it off with a generous topping of melted chocolate. Once cooled and set, each bite delivers a perfect harmony of caramelized sweetness and savory crunchiness, making it an addictive treat for any occasion.
Table of contents
Cheez-It Toffee FAQ – Your recipe questions are answered!
When storing Cheez-It toffee, follow these directions to keep it fresh and tasty:
Cooling and Setting: After making the Cheez-It toffee, allow it to cool completely at room temperature. It’s crucial to let it set properly before attempting to store it.
Airtight Container: Transfer the cooled Cheez-It toffee into an airtight container. A sealable plastic container or a metal tin with a tight-fitting lid works well. Ensure the container is clean and completely dry before adding the toffee to prevent moisture.
Layering and Separation: If you’re stacking layers of the toffee in the container, place sheets of parchment or wax paper between the layers. This helps prevent the pieces from sticking together or forming a gooey mess.
Cool and Dry Storage: Store the container of Cheez-It toffee in a cool, dry place. Avoid areas with direct sunlight or excess heat, as this can cause the toffee to soften or melt.
Room Temperature Storage: Toffee is best stored at room temperature. Refrigerating it is not recommended as the cold can cause condensation, making the toffee sticky or affecting its texture.
Use within a Reasonable Time: While Cheez-It toffee can last for several days when stored properly, it’s best enjoyed within a week or two for optimal taste and texture. Over time, the toffee might become less crispy.
By following these storage directions, you can help maintain the freshness and crunchiness of your homemade Cheez-It toffee for as long as possible!
Cooling Cheez-It toffee in the fridge can expedite the setting process compared to room temperature. Typically, it takes around 30 to 60 minutes in the fridge for the toffee to cool and set properly. However, this can vary based on factors like the thickness of the toffee layer, the temperature of the fridge, and the specific recipe used.
It’s essential to allow enough time for the toffee to fully set before cutting it into pieces. To check if it’s ready, gently touch the surface; it should feel firm and solidified. Once set, you can take it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before cutting to avoid it being too hard to cut cleanly.
Yes, and we have several versions of this recipe on our blog; The recipe originates from a basic Saltine Toffee recipe, also commonly known and referred to as “Christmas Crack” which is aptly named for its salty-sweet addictiveness:
1. Pretzel Toffee – it’s the same as Cheez-It Toffee, only with pretzels instead!
2. Chocolate Butterscotch Saltine Toffee – a butterscotch flavor twist with a saltine cracker base
3. Easter Saltine Toffee – an Easter/Springtime version with a saltine cracker base
4. Valentine’s Day Saltine Toffee – a fun Valentine’s Day version with a saltine cracker base and Valentine’s Day-themed sprinkles on top
Check back often because we love this toffee recipe for its simple ease & salty-sweet deliciousness and I’m sure we will keep publishing different versions of it. You can sign up for our email list (on the homepage & sidebar) to know when we publish new recipes to the blog.
Ingredients for Cheez-It Toffee
*The full, printable recipe is at the bottom of the post
- 204 regular Cheez-Its (the amount will depend on the size of your baking sheet, it’s most of a 12.4 ounce (351g) box)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels
- sprinkles, amount to taste, optional
- Sourdough Graham Crackers
- Shortbread Cookie Recipes
- Maple Shortbread Cookies
- Honey Shortbread
- Sourdough Pancakes
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, let us know in the comments below, thank you for reading and following along!
- Preparation: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Cover your rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper so that it's over the edge of the rim of the baking sheet.
- Prepare the Cheez-It base: Line the parchment with Cheez-Its in an even, single layer, the amount of Cheez-Its you use will depend on the side of your baking sheet.
- Make the Toffee: In a small saucepan, add the unsalted butter, and the dark brown sugar and bring to a low boil, then boil for 3 minutes. Pour the mixture over the Cheez-Its and use an offset spatula to spread it evenly. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, then take it out.
- Add the chocolate and optional topping(s): Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the toffee mixture. Put the baking sheet in the oven for 4-5 minutes and take it out. Use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate into an even layer. Sprinkle optional sprinkles evenly over the melted chocolate. Allow the Cheez-It Toffee to set at room temperature until hardened or place it in the fridge to allow it to set completely (about 2 hours). When it's set, break it up with your hands or cut it up, enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Icing Spatula, 7.5" - 10.8" - 12.8" Offset Cake Spatula Set with Wooden Handle by 1Easylife, Professional Stainless Steel Cake Decorating Spatulas (4"-6"-8" Blade)
If You Care FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft (Pack of 2)
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
Creative Co-Op Floral Hand Stamped Stoneware Measuring Cups (Set of 4 Sizes/Designs)
Homestia Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 8 Pcs Baking Cooking Utensils with Measurement for Dry and Liquid Ingredients, Black
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1128Total Fat: 91gSaturated Fat: 52gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 256mgSodium: 1559mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 55g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best. If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating – it helps others find the recipe!
- First published: 12/1/2023
- Photos added: 12/7/2023