Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
This Pan-Fried Fennel is a flavorful and simple-to-prepare vegetable side dish. It’s a vegan and gluten-free recipe that can be made for weeknight cooking as well as a side to bring to a potluck or gathering. The fennel bulbs and fronds are all chopped up and pan-fried with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a cast-iron skillet.
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, Pan-Fried Fennel (or sometimes called, “sauteed fennel”) is one of my favorite ways to prepare this plant.
I love how the fennel fronds get crispy, giving this dish a textural aspect.
What is fennel?
Did you know that fennel is a member of the carrot family? Yes, it is!
It’s a flowering plant species that is originally from the shores of the Mediterranean but can be grown now in many parts of the world.
It’s hardy, it has yellow flowers. The whole plant can be eaten. The bulb-like base is used as a vegetable.
What does fennel taste like?
It’s very aromatic and has a distinct anise-like, licorice-like flavor.
In this recipe, I include the fennel fronds too and fry them to be crispy.
What are the health benefits of fennel?
Disclaimer: As always, be sure to consult your nutritionist or doctor when trying something new especially if you have a health issue.
- Fennel has a lot of vitamin c
- a good source of fiber
- supports a healthy heart diet
- may be considered an anti-inflamatory
- may support healthy skin
- may improve symptoms of anemia
When is fennel in season in New Jersey (Mid-Atlantic, United States)?
Fennel is in season in New Jersey in October and November, however, I have gotten young fennel from my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share boxes in August/September – so check with your local farm/CSA.
- 1-2 tablespoons regular olive oil
- kosher salt, amount to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- cast iron skillet
- cutting board
- chef’s knife
Did you see our last recipe post on Homemade Breakfast Burrito Wraps? It’s a great, freezer-friendly, meal-plan-friendly, and satisfying recipe! Check out the link below!
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Check out our YouTube Channel to subscribe and hit the bell to get notifications when we post new videos!
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
Thank you for reading and following along!
(This recipe was originally photographed on 7/14/2021 and first published on 10/8/2021)
- In a large cast-iron skillet or pan, heat oil over medium-high heat, when the oil is warmed and coating the entire bottom of the pan (move it around with the spatula), add the fennel.
- Cook the chopped fennel for about 5-10 minutes, until lightly browned, add some kosher salt (amount to taste). the fennel should be cooked throughout, fry longer if it needs more time (you can always test a piece), since fennel can really vary in size, the cooking time will vary. As it cooks, adjust the heat to lower or increase it. If the fronds seem done, remove them using tongs. When it's done, remove it to a plate. You may need to cook in batches if the fennel bulbs were large and you have a lot. Make sure to add more oil, as needed every time you add more fennel to cook in the pan. When it's done, season with salt and pepper.
- The fennel flavor intensifies with cooking, so not much seasoning beyond salt and pepper is needed, since it's so flavorful, to begin with, however, you can add some fresh, squeezed lemon juice, optionally, if you wish to brighten up the dish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
OXO 1063494 Good Grips Turner, Spatula, and Tongs Set - Safe for Nonstick Cookware,3 Piece
Wok spatula and ladle,Skimmer Ladle Tool Set, Chinese Wok Utensil Set, All metal 304 Stainless Steel Cooking Utensils（15in,15in,14in)
Mr.Dakai Wooden Spatula for Cooking Nonstick, Kitchen Wok Spatula Utensil Set,14" Wooden Turner Serving Tool for High Heat Stirring in Nonstick Pans
Calphalon Triply Stainless Steel 12-Inch Wok Stir Fry Pan With Cover
OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Utensil Set
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best. If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating – it helps others find the recipe!