Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Dalgona Coffee (Dalgona Whipped Coffee) is a whipped coffee drink recipe consisting of a top layer of equal parts instant coffee, water, and sugar (granulated white or confectioner’s sugar), whipped together until fluffy and light and then spooned over iced or hot milk (or non-dairy/dairy-free milk substitute). It is as delicious as any coffee drink you can get at a coffee shop and easy to make at home too! Treat yourself to this simple and delicious Dalgona Coffee recipe! (vegetarian, vegan option)
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, have you heard of Dalgona Coffee?
If you haven’t, then you’ve heard it first here.
It’s has been a trendy, popular coffee drink, enjoyed hot or cold/iced originating in South Korea, to make at home during the historic, Covid-19 Pandemic when people are self or mandatory quarantining and can’t get out to their favorite coffee shops.
I found out about it from a college friend and just knew I had to try it for myself.
I love sharing coffee drinks on the blog and this one fits perfectly with all the other coffee recipes we have on here!
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee (or same amount espresso powder)
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar (or same amount caster sugar or confectioners or powdered sugar)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) whole milk or your favorite milk, non-dairy/dairy-free milk (hot or cold)
- ice, if serving cold
- mixing bowl
- whisk or handheld electric mixer
- 2-cup wet measure
- ice cube tray
What is in Dalgona Coffee?
It consists of simple, inexpensive pantry staples, like instant coffee (regular or decaf), sugar, water, and milk, and allows you to make an expensive-tasting coffee drink to rival any delicious coffee drink that you would have at your favorite coffee shop.
In these photos, I am showing it plain and also topped with chocolate syrup (I happened to use Hershey’s brand because that’s what I have right now) but you can add, shaved chocolate, sprinkles, whipped cream (or another whipped topping) or anything you like!
You could also make this coffee drink into a boozy cocktail if you want with a little Baileys, Kahlua – or you tell me, what would you add to this Dalgona Whipped Coffee Drink?
What Does Dalgona Coffee Look Like?
It’s also a beautiful drink to behold too with the white milk on the bottom and the coffee-sugar mixture on top, creating an ombre-like effect as you slowly stir it together.
Mornings (or afternoons) will seem brighter and something to look forward to with the anticipation of drinking this lovely, delicious coffee drink.
How Do You Make Dalgona Coffee?
With a simple technique of whipping the instant coffee, water, and sugar together, you create a frothy whipped topping.
I recommend a milk frother, but you can use a whisk or even a handheld electric mixer/stand mixer to mix the ingredients to stiff peaks.
Fill a chilled glass, filled with ice and 4 ounces (1/2 cup) milk (I use whole organic but you can use any milk you wish, including almond, cashew, soy, rice milk, or other non-dairy/dairy-free milk).
Alternately, you can serve it hot with hot milk. And that’s it!
If you try this Dalgona Coffee recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- Decaffeinated Dalgona Coffee
- Matcha Green Tea Latte
- Chocolate Peanut Butter
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate Sauce Syrup
- Nettle Pesto
This post was originally published on 3/28/2020, and updated and republished 9/10/2021.
- Combine the instant coffee, water and sugar together, until you create a frothy whipped topping. I recommend a milk frother, but you can use a whisk or even a handheld electric mixer/stand mixer to mix the ingredients to stiff peaks.
- Fill a chilled glass, filled with ice and 4 ounces (1/2 cup) milk (I use whole organic but you can use any milk you wish, including almond, cashew, soy, rice milk or other non-dairy/dairy-free milk). Alternately, you can serve it hot with hot milk.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
- Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
- Opal Countertop Nugget Ice Maker
- Ticent Ice Cube Trays (Set of 2), Silicone Sphere Whiskey Ice Ball Maker with Lids & Large Square Ice Cube Molds for Cocktails & Bourbon - Reusable & BPA Free
- Hiware 12-Pack Gold Stainless Steel Straws Reusable with Case - Metal Drinking Straws for 30oz / 20oz Tumblers Yeti Dishwasher Safe, 2 Brushes Included
- Zunii 300-Pack Multi-Color Biodegradable Paper Straws - 10 Bright Colors - Eco Friendly Straws for Juice, Soda, Cocktails, Shakes - Great for Birthday Parties, Bridal Showers, Cake Pop Sticks
- Naturalik 300-Pack Biodegradable Paper Straws Dye-Free- Brown Kraft Premium Eco-Friendly Paper Straws Bulk- Drinking Straws for Juices, Smoothies, Restaurants and Party Decorations, 7.7" (Brown Kraft)
- Libbey Robusta Glass Mugs, Set of 12
- Libbey 10.5-ounce Irish Coffee Mug, 4-piece Set
- SENHAI Set of 8 Stainless Steel Straws for 30oz 20oz Tumblers Cups Mugs, Metal Drinking Straw with Cleaning Brush for 30 20 Ounce Yeti Rambler Rtic Ozark Trail
- Officially Licensed Christmas Vacation 8 Ounce Glass Moose Mug - Set of 8
- MOFADO Crystal Whiskey Glasses - Classic - 12oz Set of 2 - Lead Free Hand Blown Crystal - Thick Weighted Bottom Rocks Glasses - Perfect for Scotch, Bourbon and Old Fashioned Cocktails
- Libbey Province 24-Piece Tumbler and Rocks Glass Set
- Libbey Selene Punch Bowl Set with 8 Punch Glasses, Punch Bowl and Ladle
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 847Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 767mgCarbohydrates: 98gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 51g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.