This Sautéed Purslane recipe has the superfood purslane sauteed with soy sauce, garlic, and olive oil. It’s so simple, healthy, and takes only minutes to prepare this green, plant-based, vegan, vegetarian dish that can be eaten on its own or as a side to an entrée.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, so you just got a bunch of purslane either from the Farmer’s market, your CSA share, or perhaps from your own kitchen garden and you want to know what to do with the stuff, well, you should try it sautéed, of course!
We have put our purslane-related recipes into one post along with more information about purslane.
As more purslane recipes are added to the blog, we will add them to the post.
What diet lifestyle does this recipe adhere to?
This recipe is vegetarian, vegan, and plant-based.
It can be made to be gluten-free if you use a gluten-free soy sauce or omit the soy sauce completely.
Have a Good Foraging Book and Guide!
I use the book, “Northeast Foraging” as a guidebook, specific to my region. (I affiliate linked to this book in the recipe card at the end of the post)
I suggest you also ask people who are experts in foraging in person to give you 2nd option when foraging.
Never eat wild food that you are not 100% sure is safe to eat! Remember, always safety first!
- 4 ounces purslane, washed
- 1-2 tablespoons regular olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, optional, amount to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, amount to taste
I have linked to the items and products that I use or similar in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- wok utensils
- measuring spoons
- salad spinner
- mesh colander
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
- Roasted Purslane Chips
- How to Make Milk with Milk Powder
- Sautéed Purslane
- Air Fryer Kohlrabi Fries
- Purslane Recipes
Thank you for reading and following along!
- Heat oil and garlic in a wok over medium-high heat. When the garlic and oil are heated, add the prepared purslane and stir to coat. Add the soy sauce and any other optional desired seasonings and stir to combine. Adjust the heat lower, if the wok is getting too hot. Cook the purslane until the stems are tender. When it's done, plate to serve and enjoy!
- Spice and flavor suggestions: I tried to keep this recipe super simple but I also think a dash of white pepper, sesame oil, and Chinese 5 spice would also go really well with this dish (I have an Amazon affiliate linked them below).
- Yield: The serving Size is 4 ounces per serving, this recipe makes 1 serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Northeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Beach Plums to Wineberries (Regional Foraging Series)
- Kadoya Sesame Oil, 22.10 Fl Oz
- McCormick Gourmet, Ground White Pepper, 1.75 oz
- Frontier Five Spice Powder, 1.92-Ounce Bottle
- Wok spatula and ladle,Skimmer Ladle Tool Set, Chinese Wok Utensil Set, All metal 304 Stainless Steel Cooking Utensils（15in,15in,14in)
- Mr.Dakai Wooden Spatula for Cooking Nonstick, Kitchen Wok Spatula Utensil Set,14" Wooden Turner Serving Tool for High Heat Stirring in Nonstick Pans
- HÖLM 3-Piece Stainless Steel Mesh Micro-Perforated Strainer Colander Set (1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4.5-Quart)
- MUELLER Large 5L Salad Spinner Vegetable Washer with Bowl, Anti-Wobble Tech, Lockable Colander Basket and Smart Lock Lid - Lettuce Washer and Dryer - Easy Water Drain System and Compact Storage
- OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner, Large
- Morton Salt Kosher Salt, 3 lbs, Pack of 2
- Totally Bamboo Salt Box, Bamboo Storage Box with Magnetic Swivel Lid, "Salt" Engraved on Lid
- 2-Pack of Soy Sauce Bottles & Red/Green Caps - 5-Oz (148 mL) Clear Easy Pour Glass Condiment Dispensers - Food & Salad Bar Utensils, Supplies, & Accessories for Restaurants, Cafes, Weddings, & Parties
- Misto Aluminum Bottle Oil Sprayer, Tomato Red, Set of 2
- Aozita 17oz Glass Olive Oil Bottle - 500ml Dark Brown Oil & Vinegar Cruet with Pourers and Funnel - Olive Oil Carafe Decanter for Kitchen
- Wooden Spatula for Cooking 12 Inch Kitchen Utensil - Handmade Thin Walnut Wood Saute Spatula, Multipurpose Premium Flat Wooden Spatula, Perfect for Flipping, Scraping, Sauteing, Turning
- OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Utensil Set
- Lodge 14 Inch Cast Iron Wok. Pre-Seasoned Wok with Flattened Bottom for Asian Stir Fry and Sautees
- Calphalon Triply Stainless Steel 12-Inch Wok Stir Fry Pan With Cover
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils