This Skillet Oven Roasted Butternut Squash is sliced thin, seasoned with herbs like thyme and sage and then baked in the oven. Enjoy this easy, tasty and beautiful way to enjoy butternut squash! (vegan, gluten-free)
Skillet Oven Roasted Butternut Squash
Hi Everyone, I love butternut squash and it can be prepared in so many ways. This Skillet Oven Roasted Butternut Squash makes use of a mandolin slicer, cutting the butternut squash into 1/4 inch slices. You can certainly use a sharp chef’s knife to slice the butternut squash into slices. If you use a mandolin slicer, watch your fingers. I usually slice most of the squash with the mandolin slicer and the last part, I will use the knife.
I used dried sage leaves and thyme that I grew from my garden this year. You can use fresh herbs as well. This Skillet Oven Roasted Butternut Squash recipe is one of my “garden-inspired” recipes, you can see all of the garden-inspired recipes, here.
Ingredients for Skillet Oven Roasted Butternut Squash
- butternut squash
- olive oil (can substitute same amount butter if you prefer)
- Kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you. I only recommend brands and products that I 100% like and enjoy using. Thank you in advance for your support!
Helpful Kitchen Tools for Skillet Oven Roasted Butternut Squash
- chef’s knife
- spoon for scooping seeds
- vegetable slicer
- mandolin slicer – This is the one that I have:
- large cast iron skillet
I know you will love this Skillet Oven Roasted Butternut Squash!
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seed removed, sliced into thin 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tbsps regular olive oil
- 4 leaves dried sage , you can also use fresh, you can substitute the same amount bay leaves
- 2 sprigs dried thyme leaves, you can also use fresh
- 1/2-1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper with the sliced butternut squash until evenly coated.
- Arrange the slices in a large cast iron skillet and bake for 1 hour or until tender and lightly browned on top. Serve in the skillet (careful, the skillet is hot, use oven mitts) and enjoy!
- The nutritional information is an estimate; we use myfitnesspal.com to generate the nutritional information for this recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 145
- Check out our Recipe index and DIY index
- Be sure to sign up for the Life’s Little Sweets e-mail newsletter for more updates and FREE recipes!
What’s your favorite way to have butternut or any squash? Please let me know in the comments below! Best, ~Sara xo
- Thanksgiving Sides Recipes Collection
- Rustic Oven Roasted Mini Pumpkin Squash
- Cranberry Maple Roasted Butternut Squash #ad
Pin This! ⇓