Goldenrod Iced Tea is a cool, soothing, herbal, late-Summer to Fall cold, tea drink. The cut leaves and flowers have a sweet, “anise-like” scent that gives the tea it’s flavor. Enjoy it alone or with honey or your favorite sweetener.
Goldenrod Iced Tea
Hi Everyone, did you know that you can make a delicious iced tea from Goldenrod? Yes, Goldenrod, the plant which is the bain of many late-Summer-Autumn allergy sufferers!
*make sure you have a positive ID on the goldenrod if you are new to the herb, I link to a field guide that I use for foraging wild edibles. I also use the Picture This app for plant identification.
The cut leaves and flowers have a sweet, “anise-like” scent that gives the tea it’s flavor.
As quoted from Wikipedia:
Solidago, commonly called goldenrods, is a genus of about 100 to 120 species of flowering plants in the aster family, Asteraceae. Most are herbaceous perennial species found in open areas such as meadows, prairies, and savannas.
Goldenrod has a number of health benefits.
As quoted from wildediblefood.com:
“Most Goldenrod plants average 1 metre in height. … Edible parts: All aerial parts of the plant can be used. The flowers are edible and make attractive garnishes on salads. Flowers and leaves (fresh or dried) are used to make tea.”
As quoted from rxlist.com:
Goldenrod is used to reduce pain and swelling (inflammation), as a diuretic to increase urine flow, and to stop muscle spasms. It is also used for gout, joint pain (rheumatism), arthritis, as well as eczema and other skin conditions.
According to healthline.com:
the antioxidant activity of goldenrod is more than that of green tea and vitamin C ( 1 , 9 , 10 , 11 ). The flavonoid antioxidants and other plant compounds in goldenrod also have anti-inflammatory benefits
INGREDIENTS FOR GOLDENROD Iced TEA
- goldenrod leaves and young flowers *make sure you have a positive ID on the goldenrod if you are new to the herb, I have mentioned in this post a field guide that I use for foraging wild edibles.
- hot water
- optional: honey or sugar or other desired sweetener for sweetening the tea
- *see more ingredient options in the recipe card at the end of the post
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you. I only recommend brands and products that I 100% like and enjoy using. Thank you in advance for your support!
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR GOLDENROD TEA
I will link all my favorite products in the recipe card below with Amazon Affiliate links, here’s a list of them here:
- T-sac for steeping the tea or metal mesh tea infuser
- tea kettle for boiling water
- teapot for steeping *if making by the teapot
- heat safe mug or teacup
- spoon, optional
- honey dipper, if using honey
RELATED: Basil Simple Syrup
RELATED: Whipped Cream Cold-Brew Iced Coffee
GOLDENROD RECIPE INSPIRATION
If you need some Goldenrod recipe inspiration, here’s a list of recipes to get you going:
- Goldenrod Tea (Hot)
- Goldenrod Lemonade
- Goldenrod Simple Syrup
- Goldenrod Arnold Palmer
- Goldenrod Coffee (Hot) or Goldenrod Iced Coffee
- You can use the Goldenrod flowers to garnish salads and other recipes/dishes
- Goldenrod Cake
- Goldenrod Scones
- Goldenrod Cupcakes
- Goldenrod Chia Pudding
- Goldenrod Panna Cotta
- Goldenrod Coffee Creamer
- What would you make using Goldenrod? Let me know in the comments below?
RELATED: Citrus Honey Ginger Tea and Goldenrod Recipes
If you make this Goldenrod Iced Tea recipe and like it, please rate the recipe in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
RELATED: Autumn Olive Guide + Recipes
Thank you for reading and following along!
RELATED: Maple Syrup Iced Coffee
- 2 tablespoons (approximately) Goldenrod leaves and young, soon to open flowers
- 8 ounces hot water
- sugar, honey or sweetener of choice, amount to taste
- milk or non-dairy milk
- extra goldenrod sprig(s), for garnishing, washed and clean
- lemon slices, optional *not recommended, if adding milk because it will curdle the milk
- Chill a glass in the freezer for 10 minutes. Bring water to a boil in a tea kettle.
- Place prepared Goldenrod leaves and young flowers in a tea sac.
- Pour hot water over the t-sac, cover and allow to steep for 10 minutes. When the tea is done steeping, remove the T-sac and add any desired sugar, honey or sweetener, and optional milk/non-dairy milk at this point and stir to combine.
- Take out the chilled glass, add ice, add the tea. Garnish with a goldenrod sprig, optional lemon slices, if you wish and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Outdoor Glass Beverage Dispenser with Infuser, Ice Bucket Stand, Stainless Steel Spigot & Hanging Chalkboard - 1.5 Gallon Outdoor Drink Dispenser for Lemonade, Tea, Cold Water & More
- 2 Gallon Glass Beverage Dispenser with Infuser, Metal Base, Stainless Steel Spigot & Hanging Chalkboard - Outdoor Drink Dispenser for Lemonade, Tea, Cold Water & More
- Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill Glass Beverage Dispenser with Spigot, 2 Gallon
- Anchor Hocking Heavy Base Highball Drinking Glasses, 15 oz (Set of 12)
- Libbey Selene Punch Bowl Set with 8 Punch Glasses, Punch Bowl and Ladle
- Libbey Heavy Base Tumbler Glasses, Set of 8
- Hiware 12-Pack Gold Stainless Steel Straws Reusable with Case - Metal Drinking Straws for 30oz / 20oz Tumblers Yeti Dishwasher Safe, 2 Brushes Included
- Zunii 300-Pack Multi-Color Biodegradable Paper Straws - 10 Bright Colors - Eco Friendly Straws for Juice, Soda, Cocktails, Shakes - Great for Birthday Parties, Bridal Showers, Cake Pop Sticks
- Naturalik 300-Pack Biodegradable Paper Straws Dye-Free- Brown Kraft Premium Eco-Friendly Paper Straws Bulk- Drinking Straws for Juices, Smoothies, Restaurants and Party Decorations, 7.7" (Brown Kraft)
- SENHAI Set of 8 Stainless Steel Straws for 30oz 20oz Tumblers Cups Mugs, Metal Drinking Straw with Cleaning Brush for 30 20 Ounce Yeti Rambler Rtic Ozark Trail
- 6pcs Pack 304 Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Mason Jar Lids with Straw Hole, Including 6pcs Stainless Steel Straws and 1pcs Cleaning Brush, Compatible with Ball & Kerr Mason Jars
- Ball Mason Jar Pint Wide Mouth Clear Glass W/Lids and Bands, 16-Ounces (Set of 4)
- IHUIXINHE Loose Leaf Tea Snap Ball &Tea Mesh Stainless Steel Strainer with Handle (4 Pack) Ball Shape Tea Infuser and Filters
- OXO BREW Classic Tea Kettle
- Teapot Kettle with Warmer - Tea Pot and Tea Infuser Set - Glass Tea Maker Infusers Holds 3-4 Cups Loose Leaf Iced Blooming or Flowering Tea Filter- Teapots Kettles Tea Strainer Steeper Tea Pots
- T-Sac Tea Filter Bags, Disposable Tea Infuser, Number 2-Size, 2 to 4-Cup Capacity, Set of 200
- Libbey Robusta Glass Mugs, Set of 12
- COSORI Electric Gooseneck Kettle with 5 Variable Presets, Pour Over Coffee Kettle & Tea Kettle, 100% Stainless Steel Inner Lid & Bottom, 1200 Watt Quick Heating, 0.8L, Silver
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 78gFiber: 2gSugar: 37gProtein: 35g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.