Goldenrod Iced Coffee recipe is a sweet, herbal-infused cold, coffee drink. It’s made with fresh-brewed coffee, Goldenrod Simple Syrup made with a Goldenrod-Infused Tea, ice and topped with half and half or your favorite creamer.
Goldenrod Iced Coffee
Hi Everyone, no matter what’s going on in the world, its supremely assuring to be able to walk out of my house clip some goldenrod blooms and snap off some leaves from the goldenrod plants growing along the yard, return to my kitchen, prepare a goldenrod tea and then make a goldenrod simple syrup with it and then use that simple syrup to make this unique, sweet, floral infused coffee drink.
*Make sure you have a positive ID on the goldenrod if you are new to the herb, I link to a field guide that I use for foraging wild edibles. I also use the Picture This app for plant identification.
RELATED: Goldenrod Recipes
I love creating special, new coffee drinks in my kitchen. It’s been a great way to press the pause button, make a space and place for myself. Perhaps you are looking for a new coffee drink too?
Iced coffee is something I associate with going out to a coffee shop and picking up and I haven’t been doing much of that during this season of my life with 3 kiddos, working from home and a pandemic. What’s a person to do? Enter this Goldenrod Iced Coffee!
If I find myself stuck in the house a lot with the quarantine, e-learning this Fall or for whatever reason, this or one of my other coffee/tea drinks, are recipes that I can make to enjoy.
What does Goldenrod (Coffee) Taste Like?
The cut leaves and flowers have a sweet, “anise-like” scent that gives the tea it’s flavor.
The taste is uniquely goldenrod and after making it into a tea, I thought it would lend itself well to a sweet, coffee drink.
If you have had a peppermint mocha or coffee flavored with anise, it’s along those lines, but perhaps more subtle and floral.
As quoted from Wikipedia:
Solidago, commonly called goldenrods, is a genus of about 100 to 120 species of flowering plants in the aster family, Asteraceae. Most are herbaceous perennial species found in open areas such as meadows, prairies, and savannas.
RELATED: Maple Syrup Iced Coffee
Goldenrod has a number of health benefits.
As quoted from wildediblefood.com:
“Most Goldenrod plants average 1 metre in height. … Edible parts: All aerial parts of the plant can be used. The flowers are edible and make attractive garnishes on salads. Flowers and leaves (fresh or dried) are used to make tea.”
RELATED: Whipped Cream Cold-Brew Iced Coffee
As quoted from rxlist.com:
Goldenrod is used to reduce pain and swelling (inflammation), as a diuretic to increase urine flow, and to stop muscle spasms. It is also used for gout, joint pain (rheumatism), arthritis, as well as eczema and other skin conditions.
According to healthline.com:
the antioxidant activity of goldenrod is more than that of green tea and vitamin C ( 1 , 9 , 10 , 11 ). The flavonoid antioxidants and other plant compounds in goldenrod also have anti-inflammatory benefits
GOLDENROD RECIPE INSPIRATION
If you need some Goldenrod recipe inspiration, here’s a list of recipes to get you going:
- Goldenrod Tea (Hot)
- Goldenrod Lemonade
- Goldenrod Simple Syrup
- Goldenrod Arnold Palmer
- Goldenrod Coffee (Hot)
- You can use the Goldenrod flowers to garnish salads and other recipes/dishes
- Goldenrod Cake
- Goldenrod Scones
- Goldenrod Cupcakes
- Goldenrod Chia Pudding
- Goldenrod Panna Cotta
- Goldenrod Coffee Creamer
- What would you make using Goldenrod? Let me know in the comments below?
Isn’t the color of Goldenrod beautiful? It’s one of my favorite features of the beautiful plant!
This Goldenrod Iced Coffee, can easily be made with a vegan coffee creamer.
Other Ways to Make Goldenrod Coffee
The other way to make a Goldenrod (Iced) Coffee would be to make a goldenrod-infused coffee creamer and then add it to the coffee, either hot or cold.
Another way, would be to use a Goldenrod Essential Oil or Goldenrod Extract and add it to the coffee. If you try any of these methods, let us know how it works out in the comments at the end of the post.
RELATED: Autumn Olive Guide + Recipes
If you make this Goldenrod Iced Coffee recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments below.
Thank you for reading and following along!
RELATED: Basil Simple Syrup
- 8 ounces hot, fresh brewed black coffee or chilled or cold brew coffee
- 2-3 tablespoons Goldenrod Simple Syrup
- 3 tablespoons, or amount to taste half and half (or preferred creamer), amount to taste
- In a chilled glass of ice, add hot coffee or chilled coffee or cold brew.
- Add the Goldenrod Simple Syrup, stir to combine, add the optional half and half and stir to combine. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Northeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Beach Plums to Wineberries (Regional Foraging Series)
- Hiware 12-Pack Gold Stainless Steel Straws Reusable with Case - Metal Drinking Straws for 30oz / 20oz Tumblers Yeti Dishwasher Safe, 2 Brushes Included
- Zunii 300-Pack Multi-Color Biodegradable Paper Straws - 10 Bright Colors - Eco Friendly Straws for Juice, Soda, Cocktails, Shakes - Great for Birthday Parties, Bridal Showers, Cake Pop Sticks
- Naturalik 300-Pack Biodegradable Paper Straws Dye-Free- Brown Kraft Premium Eco-Friendly Paper Straws Bulk- Drinking Straws for Juices, Smoothies, Restaurants and Party Decorations, 7.7" (Brown Kraft)
- SENHAI Set of 8 Stainless Steel Straws for 30oz 20oz Tumblers Cups Mugs, Metal Drinking Straw with Cleaning Brush for 30 20 Ounce Yeti Rambler Rtic Ozark Trail
- 6pcs Pack 304 Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Mason Jar Lids with Straw Hole, Including 6pcs Stainless Steel Straws and 1pcs Cleaning Brush, Compatible with Ball & Kerr Mason Jars
- Ball Mason Jar Pint Wide Mouth Clear Glass W/Lids and Bands, 16-Ounces (Set of 4)
- ecozoi Stainless Steel Metal Ice Cube Trays with Easy Release Handle - 2 Pack with Stand | 36 Ice Cube Slots | Removable Slots for Easy Ice Cube Removal and Cleaning | Eco Friendly, Plastic Free
- Vremi Countertop Ice Maker - Ice Cubes Ready in 9 Minutes - Makes 26 Pounds Ice in 24 hrs - Perfect for Water Bottles, Mixed Drinks - Portable Stainless Steel Ice Maker with Ice Scoop and Basket
- Opal Countertop Nugget Ice Maker
- Ticent Ice Cube Trays (Set of 2), Silicone Sphere Whiskey Ice Ball Maker with Lids & Large Square Ice Cube Molds for Cocktails & Bourbon - Reusable & BPA Free
- Libbey Heavy Base Tumbler Glasses, Set of 8
- The Original Bialetti Moka Express - 6 Cup Stovetop Coffee Maker with Safety Valve – brews 9.2 ounces
- Cuisinart DCC-2650 Brew Central 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
- Libbey 10.5-ounce Irish Coffee Mug, 4-piece Set
- Bodum Chambord French Press Coffee Maker, Glass, 34 Ounce, 1 Liter, Copper
- Long Handle Spoon, MCIRCO Stainless Steel Spoon Set Mixing Spoon Ice Cream Spoon Long Spoon Iced Tea Spoon Coffee Spoon Dessert Spoon Milkshake Spoon,Set of 8(Ice spoon)
- COSORI Pour Over Coffee Maker, 8 Cup Glass Coffee Pot&Coffee Brewer with Stainless Steel Filter, High Heat Resistance Decanter, Measuring Scoop Included, 34 Ounce
- COSORI Electric Gooseneck Kettle with 5 Variable Presets, Pour Over Coffee Kettle & Tea Kettle, 100% Stainless Steel Inner Lid & Bottom, 1200 Watt Quick Heating, 0.8L, Silver
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 29gProtein: 1g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.