Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Stove Top Dutch Oven Popcorn recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients Canola oil, Kosher salt, and popcorn kernels.
Hi Everyone, I wrote this recipe a long time ago (5 years ago at the time of publishing this post) but I never published it. I am not sure why, it just sat in my draft folder for that whole time.
I am glad to finally get it up on the blog! Especially, since we make it so often in our household.
RELATED: Sautéed Shishito Peppers
Meanwhile, over the years, I have been making this Stove Top Dutch Oven Popcorn for my family as an inexpensive, easy, filling snack that you can make in any season.
This Stove Top Dutch Oven Popcorn has been particularly wonderful when we’ve been stuck at home and as my daughter says, “Popcorn makes everything better!”
Below is content I wrote, over 5 years ago… but the same holds true this is a super easy snack to make that doesn’t have any extra, unknown additives or preservatives.
I am going to share with you a way that I have been making homemade popcorn since about 2006. I started doing this after I learned about the chemicals in microwave popcorn. This recipe is easy to customize with your favorite spices.
It is really important to make sure your Dutch oven is cleaned out thoroughly before using or else whatever residue will stick to the popcorn. I bring this up because I do a lot of bread baking using my Dutch oven (see also, No-Knead Oatmeal Bread) and sometimes charring can remain after the bread baking process.
The first time I made it in a while, I had just made some bread in it and I didn’t think anything of it because it’s just flour but it did give the popcorn this kind of charred-ness to it – so just an FYI.
The key to success here is being present and mindful when you are cooking the popcorn because it’s done in less than 5 minutes. This is not a turn on the stove and walk away and come back in 20 minutes recipe!
Just stay close, melt the butter/warm the oil, put the popcorn in, listen to the popping and wait for it to slow, transfer to a bowl, add your salt/pepper/spices, and then you are done!
If you make this Stove Top Dutch Oven Popcorn recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1/4 cup Butter or Canola oil, (coconut oil, regular olive oil)
- 1/2 cup popcorn, (depending on the size of your dutch oven, enough to cover the bottom in a single layer)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, amount to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, amount to taste
- your favorite spices, optional
- Heat butter or oil of your preference in a dutch oven on the stove top at low heat with about 4 popcorn kernels and wait to hear them pop. When they pop, that's when you know the oil is heated enough for the rest of the kernels.
- Once, butter has melted (or when oil is hot), add popcorn kernels, make sure that the popcorn is in a single layer, coated by the butter/oil. Turn up to medium heat (make sure that you DO NOT use high heat because the popcorn will burn! Trust me, that is no fun!). Making sure you have oven safe mitts on, you may want to give the Dutch oven a shift, to make sure the kernels are at the bottom and have a chance to pop.
- When popping slows down, remove from heat and move to a bowl, sprinkle the popcorn while hot with salt, pepper and/or your favorite spices to taste.
- Make sure that your Dutch oven is cleaned out thoroughly before starting, any residue may stick to the popcorn as it cooks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
Maldon Sea Salt Flakes 1.5kg/3.3lbs Tub
Totally Bamboo Salt Box, Bamboo Storage Box with Magnetic Swivel Lid, "Salt" Engraved on Lid
Morton Salt Kosher Salt, 3 lbs, Pack of 2
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Ecodesign Bowls - Set of 4 - Premium French Onion Soup Bowls - Off-White - 300 ml (10.5 Ounce) with the Cork Coasters – Porcelain Classic European Style Healthy Portion Crocks – Oven/Microwave safe
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red)
Calphalon Classic Nonstick Dutch Oven with Cover, 7 quart, Grey
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 48Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
- Originally posted: September 2020
- Updated: 10/30/2021
- Updated: 5/4/2022 with a new video added