Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Roasted Kohlrabi is a simply-seasoned, vegan & gluten-free, root vegetable-side dish that would be wonderful to serve at a holiday gathering or weeknight dinner alike. Kohlrabi, a nutritious, German turnip variety, is roasted to a crisp texture & golden hue and then served with fresh chopped chives or your favorite green garnish.
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, roasted root vegetables are great for filling in a weeknight or weekend dinner or offering up something new and delicious for the Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Holiday dinner table.
Step-By-Step Photos for Roasted Kohlrabi
I included several step-by-step photos:
I also outline how to roast Kohlrabi in the oven in the recipe card below (at the end of the post) with step-by-step photos and directions.
What is Kohlrabi?
First off, you may have never heard of Kohlrabi, so, let me define it for you.
According to Wikipedia:
Kohlrabi, also called German turnip, is a biennial vegetable, a low, stout cultivar of wild cabbage. It is another cultivar of the same species as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, Savoy cabbage, and gai lan. It can be eaten raw or cooked.
This Roasted Kohlrabi recipe is very basic but you can experiment with your favorite seasonings.
I love it with Asian flavors like soy sauce, sesame oil (and seeds), and ginger. For another take, it tastes great with aged cheeses, like Parmesan.
The chives in these photos came from our kitchen garden. Chives are so easy to grow and go so well with Kohlrabi.
ORGANIC CSA SHARE BOXES
You can check out some of the seasonal, local, organic, vegetables that we get in our Organic CSA Share Box post series for some veggie inspiration:
- Organic CSA Box Week 1
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 2
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 3
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 4
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 5
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 6
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 7
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 8
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 9
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 10
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1 pound 7.5 ounces (about 4 bulbs) Kohlrabi, washed and peeled and cut into 2/4-inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons regular olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, or amount to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or amount to taste, plus more for serving
- Fresh chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Prepare the Kohlrabi and add them to a medium-large mixing bowl.
- Add the olive oil, Kosher salt, minced garlic, and fresh ground black pepper to the prepared Kohlrabi. Stir to combine.
- Lay the seasoned pieces on the prepared baking sheet; arrange them so that they are not touching.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden or desired crispness is reached (if they are not done, continue roasting for 5 minutes at a time and check until done, I usually do an additional 5-10 minutes). Sprinkle with more Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and fresh chopped chives over the top. Serve and enjoy!
- 1 pound 7.5 ounces Kohlrabi (when peeled)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Aozita 17oz Glass Olive Oil Bottle - 500ml Dark Brown Oil & Vinegar Cruet with Pourers and Funnel - Olive Oil Carafe Decanter for Kitchen
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 11Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 661mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
- This recipe post was first published on 11/2/2021 and updated and republished on 11/2/2022