Hops Flower Tea: This post originally appeared on the bMAKER blog as How to Make Hops Flower Tea
Hops Flower Tea is floral, slightly bitter tea with soothing, relaxing effects. You can enjoy it hot or cold with ice.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of contents
Hops Flower Tea
Hi Everyone, I’m excited to share one of my favorite teas, Hops Flower Tea.
You can make it by the cup or a large amount and save some to have a cold the next day.
It’s soothing and relaxing, making it one of my favorite teas to have in the evening before bed.
Since this recipe uses dried Hops Flowers, you can enjoy it year-round.
I love to create tea blends with hops, as well, which helps offset the bitter flavor (in case that bothers you!).
Did you see my last tea-related post Jasmine Flower Tea?
We are using Hops Flowers from bMAKER for this recipe. I have included the Amazon Affiliate link to the exact kit that I got from bMAKER in the recipe card below.
About Hops, From the bMAKER package:
“Hops are added to herb pillows, often in combination with lavender, valerian, dill and other herbs reputed to promote relaxation. A cup of this tea is said to calm nerves and reduce anxiety feelings”
In addition to use in brewing beer, Hops Flowers are said to help with (Source):
- hot flashes
- treatment of side effects due to Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
- helps & decreases risks associated with cardiovascular disease
- possible anti-cancer effects
Side Effects Associated with Hops Flowers
Make sure to use your best judgement and consult your doctor if you have any concerns regarding ingesting Hops Flower Tea, especially if you have health concerns; here are some side effects associated with Hops flowers (Source):
- If you are allergic to birch pollen, it is possible that you can be allergic to Hops flowers
- because hops has a sedating effect, it is recommended should not be used 2 weeks before surgery where an anesthetic will be used
- if you take any nervous system depressants like sleeping pills, alcohol, and any other central nervous system depressants, please use caution when taking Hops Flower tea
- people with estrogen-dependent conditions should avoid hops because of it’s estrogen-like qualities
Should I Add a Sweetener to Hops Flower Tea?
Hops Flower Tea tastes good and pure on its own; I personally, do not sweeten Hops Flower Tea but I tend not to sweeten tea or coffee drinks with a few exceptions or if I am in the mood for something sweet.
For most people Hops Flower Tea will be too bitter, think of the taste of beer but in “tea” form flavor-wise – that’s Hops Flower Tea! So unless you like bitter flavors, you will want to add your favorite sweetener to it. Remember not to over steep the tea, any tea will become bitter if it’s over-steeped.
You can certainly add honey, agave or your preferred sweetener to this tea.
Can I Add Milk to Hops Flower Tea?
Sure, if you want to.
I personally do not because the tea is beautiful on its own and I am more of a tea purist – that’s just my opinion! Milk might help reduce the bitter flavor of this tea.
If you love milk in your tea though, have at it!
Ingredients for Hops Flower Tea
- 1-2 teaspoons of looseleaf, food-grade, dried hops flowers
- 1 cup hot water
- optional sweetener, amount to taste
- optional milk or non-dairy milk substitute, amount to taste
Helpful Kitchen Tools for Hops Flower Tea
I linked to any kitchen tools that I use for this recipe in the recipe card (at the bottom of the post):
- heat safe mug(s)
- fine mesh tea strainer/diffuser or T-sac tea bag
- tea kettle
If you make this Hops Flower Tea and like it, please let us know in the comments below, thank you for reading and following along!
Our Other Recipes
If you are looking for other tea recipes, we have a bunch on the blog:
- Jasmine Flower Tea (2019)
- How to Make Chrysanthemum Flower Tea (2019)
- Heather Flower Tea (2019)
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Recipe (2018)
- Thai Iced Tea (2018)
- Cold Brew Hibiscus Tea (2018)
- Hibiscus Tea (2018)
- Fresh Basil Flower Tea (2017)
- Fresh Mint Tea (2017)
- Citrus Honey Ginger Tea (2016)
- Cold-Brewed Smashed Raspberry Honey Iced Tea (2015)
- Related: Home Brew Kombucha (2019)
- Hops Golden Milk (2018)
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Lemonade (2018)
- Rosewater (2018)
- Egg In a Hole Bagel
- Caprese Pizza
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- How to Roast a Chicken
- Anti-Inflammatory Recipes Collection
- Fresh Mint Tea
- Cold Brew Iced Coffee
- Passion Flower Tea
- Cold Drinks Recipe Collection
- Lemon Recipes Collection
- Tea Recipes Collection
- Butterfly Pea Flower Gin Mule
- Check out our Recipe index and DIY index and visit our Home page to view our latest posts
Hops Flower Tea
Hops Flower Tea is floral, slightly bitter tea with relaxing effects. You can enjoy it hot or cold with ice.
- 1-2 teaspoons food grade, dried, hops flowers
- 1 cup hot water
- sweetener of choice, optional, amount to taste
- milk or non-dairy substitute, optional, amount to taste
- Heat a tea kettle of water and bring to a boil.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons dried hops flowers to a mug or fine mesh tea diffuser or T-Sac.
- Add hot water to the mug and cover for 10-15 minutes.
- If you didn't use a tea diffuser or t-sac, you can transfer the tea to another mug to filter out the hops flowers from the tea.
- Enjoy the tea plain or with your favorite sweetener (amount to taste) and or milk/non-dairy milk (amount to taste)!
- As with any herbal remedy, please consult your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about Hops Flower Tea.
- You can refrigerate any remaining tea for up to 2 days in an air-tight container.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @lifeslittlesweets and hashtag it #lifeslittlesweets
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Libbey Robusta Glass Mugs, Set of 12
T-Sac Tea Filter Bags, Disposable Tea Infuser, Number 2-Size, 2 to 4-Cup Capacity, Set of 200
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
OXO BREW Classic Tea Kettle
Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
bMAKER- Edible & Kosher Certified Dried Flowers Sampler: Passion Flowers, Hibiscus, Elder, Heather, Hops and Chrysanthemum Flowers - Best for Culinary, and DIY Soap Making, Bath Bomb & Crafts
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 128Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
- Nutella Recipes - March 20, 2023
- Snack Mix Recipes - March 20, 2023
- Cabbage Recipes - March 19, 2023
Great post thank you so much for creating this. I would love to know which tea blends you like to mix with hops if any.