December Recipes Collection – We have gathered a collection of reader favorites (and our favorites!) for the month of December. There are recipes for every category: from snacks, appetizers, sides, main dishes, and desserts. We discuss what foods are in season and what holidays are in December. Check out what to make in December! (60+ recipes)
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of contents
December Recipes Collection
Hello Friends, ever wonder what are good recipes to make in December?
We have gathered all the best recipes from the blog for December.
We gathered recipes from every category, sweet and savory.
What Foods are in Season in December?
Here are foods that are in season in the month of December, this, of course, varies depending on where you are located and the time of the month of December.
If you think I am missing anything on this list, please let me know in the comments below.
*categories are linked to a search for that category on our blog.
- bok choy
- Brussels sprouts
- bitter greens: broccoli rabe, chicory (radicchio, puntarelle, and Belgian endive), turnip greens, and kale
- persimmons – There are 2 main types of persimmons: Hachiya (tall) and Fuyu (squat) – (generally, persimmons taste is unique, sweet and like the mixture of pepper and mango with a hint of cinnamon)
- potato – one of my all-time favorite food!
- radish – There are over 20 types of radishes, some of my favorites include: French Breakfast Radish, Watermelon Radish, Daikon White Radish, Horseradish, Cherry Belle, Pink Radish
- sweet potato – we love sweet potatoes in our family and eat them on a weekly basis
- turnip – There are over 30 varieties of turnips, some of my favorites include: Kohlrabi (German Turnip), Hakurei Turnip (also called, Tokyo Turnip)
- Winter squash (11 varieties):
When Does Winter Season Start?
Winter 2019 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on Saturday, December 21 and ends on Thursday, March 19, 2020 (All dates are in Eastern Standard Time) – So December is interesting because it’s a month that is the end of the Autumn/Fall season and the start of the Winter season.
What Holidays are in December?
Here are holidays (official and unofficial) in December:
- December 1st – National Christmas Lights Day (Special Interest Activities)
- December 2nd – Cyber Monday (Special Interest Shopping)
- December 4th – National Cookie Day (Food & Beverage Dessert, Food)
- December 6th – National Gazpacho Day (Food & Beverage Food)
- December 7th – National Cotton Candy Day (Food & Beverage, Candy)
- December 8th – National Brownie Day (Food & Beverage Food)
- December 9th – National Llama Day (Animal Wildlife)
- December 9th – National Pastry Day (Food & Beverage Food)
- December 10th – National Lager Day (Food & Beverage Liquor)
- December 12th – Gingerbread House Day (Special Interest Activities)
- December 12th – National Poinsettia Day Fun (Catholic, Christian, Cultural, Festivities, Historical)
- December 13th – National Ice Cream Day (Food & Beverage Food) RELATED: Ice Cream Recipes Collection
- December 14th – National Bouillabaisse Day (Food & Beverage Cooking, Cultural, French) RELATED: Soup Recipes Collection
- December 15th – National Cupcake Day (Food & Beverage Food)
- December 16th – National Chocolate Covered Anything Day (Food & Beverage Chocolate, Crazy, Dessert, Food) RELATED: Chocolate Candies Recipes Collection
- December 17th – National Maple Syrup Day (Food & Beverage Food)
- December 19th – National Hard Candy Day (Food & Beverage Food)
- December 20th – National Sangria Day (Food & Beverage Liquor)
- December 20th – National Ugly Sweater Day (Fashion, Fun)
- December 21st – National Coquito Day (Food & Beverage) (“Coquito meaning “Little Coconut” in Spanish is a traditional Christmas drink that originated in Puerto Rico. The coconut-based alcoholic beverage is similar to eggnog, sometimes being called the Puerto Rican Eggnog.” (Source: Wikipedia)
- December 21st – National Crossword Puzzle Day (Special Interest Activities)
- December 21st – National Wreaths Across America Day (Cause, Historical, Military)
- December 22nd – Chanukah (Religious)
- December 22nd – National Cookie Exchange Day (Food & Beverage Food)
- December 23rd – Festivus (Religious, Pop Culture)
- December 21st – Winter Solstice (Seasonal, Meteorological)
- December 24th – Christmas Eve (Religious)
- December 25th – Christmas (Religious)
- December 31st – New Year’s Eve
Popular Methods of Cooking in December
Do you have the perfect recipe for the month of December that you always make?
We would love to know in the comments below.
Thank you for reading and following along!
*This December Recipes Collection post was originally published on 12/10/2019 and updated and republished on 12/7/2020.